Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: lq4 Tune help

if you post a log recording maf frequency or SAE.MAF, you can tell right off the bat if its giving unsteady readings. I'll post a log of mine in a bit so you can compare. FYI, I'm using an LS3 intake tube/filter cause I don't like the intake noise(just wanna hear exhuast).

Awesome. I bought a couple of couplings and will take care of it as soon as they come in. I did notice when I tried to run a maf previously it ran like butt.

Is it worth running a maf? I've reas and read and it seems nobody has a definitive answer on any definitive pro's. I've noticed a lot of new molars run speed density? Does it aid in tuning precision? Just curious on your opinion, not sure if it's worth having a 3.5" maf on a 4" intake. But it may not matter since I have a stock truck manifold anyway which isn't of the highest performance.

Well, 3" maf (76mm)

The truck intake has been shown to flow nearly equal to the ls6.

Im on the side that the C6R wouldn't use a maf unless it provided measurable benifits. Having a maf also eliminates issues if your IAT sensor heat soaks.

That being said, I'm still running with mine disabled. I got the VE nailed and then turned the maf back on which gave me trouble. I spent zero effort trying to fix it only cause I just wanted to go drive the thing. I do plan to get it integrated again.... Maybe after the watts link install...

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

... Your 3" isn't holding you back. You need way more airflow before the maf restriction becomes an issue.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

oh gotcha. Thanks for the opinion.

Lifetime Member

If boost isn't In your plans, a MAF is probably a good idea. You can also run a cartridge MAF and not have to worry about couplings and cutting your current intake piping.
    00 Silverado Z71, LQ9 w/ LS3 heads, BTR cam, Whipple 2.9@8#, 4l80E

Ya that's not a bad idea. My maf is a 5 wire with iat, not sure if cartridges include them. I could get a seperate one.

Lifetime Member

The 3 wire MAF and 2 wire IAT system was used by 1998 - 2002 Camaro, 1997 - 2000 Corvette, and 1996 - 2000 Trucks with the Blackbox PCM. After these models, GM used an integrated MAF and IAT system, with a 5 wire connector.

A “tube” style MAF is the most forgiving with respect to placement in the air intake stream, and therefore tends to more consistently generate accurate Airflow data. These were used in 1999 - 2007 Gen 3 Trucks, and a new variant was used by 2007 and 2008 Gen 4 Trucks. This design was also used by some Gen 4 cars (G8, Caprice, and the SS).

The cartridge or “blade” style MAF is widely used by GM vehicles, but requires an accurately designed air intake system to function correctly. In a custom vehicle, these provide the most accurate data when used with a 12 inch long piece, of 3 inch diameter tubing. The MAF needs to be placed in the middle of the tubing (6 inches from either end), and EXACTLY on the diameter of the tubing, and EXACTLY parallel with the airflow.

The further away from this optimal placement the cartridge MAF is, the more inconsistent the data will be.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast