Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: lq4 Tune help

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmech442 View Post
    ... how did you add a table to the ls1b? ...
    The table is in the LS1-B calibration. I used a CAX file to make it visible in EFILive - for editing.

This is good info.

Ummmm, wow, okay.. So you tune in full on beast mode.   I just spent an hour searching /reading up on cax files,and it is a whole 'nother level of awesome.

So let me again be even more specific. Iat scaling is not readily available to mere mortals on the ls1b.

OP, if it's within the scope of your post, and if Taz doesn't mind, would you(Taz) be willing to walk through unlocking the IAT scaling table with a cax file ? I searched in the cax forum (didn't know that was a thing until 30 minutes ago), but couldn't find it.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jetmech442; May 3rd, 2016 at 01:15 AM.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmech442 View Post
    ... would you(Taz) be willing to walk through unlocking the IAT scaling table with a cax file ? ...

The following comments are intended for all Forum members ... which should negate receiving a deluge of PMs and emails.

My Forum participation is predominantly to help people, help themselves. I will generally let someone know when something is possible or impossible - to save them hours of work, that in the end could be futile.

I operate a commercial business. These days it seems that Dyno Tuners are popping up on every street corner - some are OK, and some have no idea how to tune. What you won't find very often in this market space, are highly knowledgeable Conversion Tuners - these are some of the services that I am regularly contracted to provide.

To develop custom parameters (many that are not available in any tuning software) takes thousands of hours and tens of thousands of dollars. To date, I have added several thousand parameters, encompassing over 200 operating systems. Much of this is proprietary to my business, and is closely held intellectual property.

I simply don't have the free time to teach people how to tune, nor how to investigate a parameter and subsequently develop a CAX file. There should be enough information already on this Forum to get you going - that is how I began - and if I can do it, then anyone can.

I will take you this far though ....

The LS1-B IAT parameter has been added by HPT (at least for some operating systems - not sure if it available for all). So you could go that route.

However, the JPEG that I uploaded to post # 45 tells you a great deal of what you need to know to find this parameter for yourself.

The range is both negative and positive - so the data must be signed.

The range exceeds 256 - so the data cannot be 8 bit. It must be either 16 bit or 32 bit - but 32 bit was not used very often with the LS1-B PCM, so it is likely 16 bit data (and it is).

With the LS1-B PCM calibration, temperature tends to use a standard conversion equation. So, create a spreadsheet (using Excel, or similar software), apply the appropriate conversion equation to generate the raw data, then convert this raw data to Hexadecimal. Then look through the calibration in binary (Hex) format, until you locate the matching Hex data - this will likely be the IAT table. Then test as necessary to confirm that it is indeed the IAT table.

Tunercat might have this table.

+1 what Taz said...

I agree, if someone has invested time/money into locating unpublished tables, it is their right/business in charging a fee for editing those tables (without revealing the location of the tables).

When DIY scouring thru a binary version of a .ctx file, you need some hints of what to look for, Taz has explained concisely what you need to know (pre-requisite knowledge: binary/hexadecimal numbering systems), those hints are just about everywhere you look (if you learn to recognize them).
    Last edited by joecar; May 2nd, 2016 at 10:59 AM.

Hey Taz,
    I didn't realize you ran a business, that's awesome! I've been posting thru my phone so I don't get a lot of the details from the sidebar or sigs.

I wouldn't expect you to publicly help on something that your business relies on. In fact, what you wrote already is above and beyond, so thanks. I was successful in my tuning because of all the help on here from guys like weathermanshawn,statesman,mrP and of course joecar. So I've been hanging around to try and pay it back.

To the OPs issue, I think it's safe to say now that you cannot scale the cartridge maf IAT with the tables currently available in EFILive for an ls1b. The easiest route IMO is to wire in the IAT from Gen 4 fbodies.

However, I still think that your current maf is the best option.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Lifetime Member

Nice way to tie it all back together JetMech, we took the OP through a roller coaster and came back to where we started. Lol
    00 Silverado Z71, LQ9 w/ LS3 heads, BTR cam, Whipple 2.9@8#, 4l80E

Default calc.vet tune and pids

calc.vet1.ctzCalc.pidClick image for larger version. 

Name:	image1 (1).JPG 
Views:	166 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	19590Click image for larger version. 

Name:	selben row.png 
Views:	191 
Size:	108.7 KB 
ID:	19591Click image for larger version. 

Name:	selbencolumn.png 
Views:	144 
Size:	108.3 KB 
ID:	19592Click image for larger version. 

Name:	selbendata.png 
Views:	170 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	19593
    So since i have everyones attention, can you guys look at my tune for calc.vet? I have read through the tutorials and i think i have it set up right. believe the pids are set up right and the right values. My only question is on my selben-map freq for calculating the maf, is the data, row, column information correct? the map looks funny to me.

Column info for 1D map does not matter, choose a pid you're already logging.

On the Cell tab, you can constrain the cell width.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast