Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another Bad ECM?

Ok so I finally got to playing with my truck. For EFI live I had to pull the four fuses to get any thing at all and even then I got errors every so often. I was loading my HPT tunes and coping them in EFI Live. I am just a little apprehensive as HPT seems more stable for some reason. Is the HPT communication protocols that much different?

I ran across some issues last night with one as well. With V8 using the OBD2 function to retrieve info, it didn't show an ecm serial number. V8 did show all the other things correctly, segments, vin, etc. I went into 7.5 Tune Tool and used the show pcm info and it pulled everything up correctly including the ecm serial number.

When performing a data read of the ECM with V8, it read the calibration correctly but once again did not show the ecm serial number in the detailed information window. Saving the tune and opening it back up in V8 it did show the ecm serial number as well as everything else correctly. It could be a fluke, not sure.

I haven't flashed the ecm yet, just a little nervous since EFILive License to the ECM serial #.

BTW I'm running the latest non beta release, V8.2.2.203 and V7.5.7 build 309 with firmware up to date.

Sam

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 30 RUM View Post
    I ran across some issues last night with one as well. With V8 using the OBD2 function to retrieve info, it didn't show an ecm serial number. V8 did show all the other things correctly, segments, vin, etc. I went into 7.5 Tune Tool and used the show pcm info and it pulled everything up correctly including the ecm serial number.

When performing a data read of the ECM with V8, it read the calibration correctly but once again did not show the ecm serial number in the detailed information window. Saving the tune and opening it back up in V8 it did show the ecm serial number as well as everything else correctly. It could be a fluke, not sure.

I haven't flashed the ecm yet, just a little nervous since EFILive License to the ECM serial #.

BTW I'm running the latest non beta release, V8.2.2.203 and V7.5.7 build 309 with firmware up to date.

Sam
    The V8 software has been deliberately set to not show the serial number for early Duramax controllers. The serial number that is shown in V7 is wrong. It is a bug in the GM software on those controllers that returns a corrupt serial number. The only time a correct serial number can be obtained from those controllers is during a read or flash process when EFILive's own software (boot loader) is running in the ECM and FlashScan can request the correct serial number from the boot loader.

Compare the serial number displayed during a V8 read process (which is EFILive's correct version) to the serial number displayed by V7 (which is GM's corrupt version) - you'll see it is quite different.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

That's the strange part, during the read process with V8, EFILive did not show the serial number. It showed all 0's, it does show the serial number in the file when you open it back up with V8 and look at file properties.

Sam

That's the strange part, during the read process with V8, EFILive did not show the serial number. It showed all 0's, it does show the serial number in the file when you open it back up with V8 and look at file properties.

Sam
    I'm out of the office right now so I can't check right now, but it may only be the flash process that displays the "correct" serial number. The read process may still be using the old/corrupt serial numbers. You can check that in V8 by selecting the [Check License] option in the Cal-Flash tab page. That should show the serial number exactly the same the same as if it were about to flash the ECM, but it won't actually go ahead and flash the ECM.

Regards
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    I'm out of the office right now so I can't check right now, but it may only be the flash process that displays the "correct" serial number. The read process may still be using the old/corrupt serial numbers. You can check that in V8 by selecting the [Check License] option in the Cal-Flash tab page. That should show the serial number exactly the same the same as if it were about to flash the ECM, but it won't actually go ahead and flash the ECM.

Regards
    Paul
    Paul you are correct. Just got done doing some checking. V8 will show the serial number if I use the Check License option, which also matches the tune that was read out of the controller. If I use show PCM info with V7.5 it does show a different serial number. So just to be safe I will do pass thru flashing with V8 with all the fuses pulled, or I may just use my bench harness. Unless you think I'm asking for trouble since it is showing 2 different Serial numbers?

Thanks

Sam

Paul you are correct. Just got done doing some checking. V8 will show the serial number if I use the Check License option, which also matches the tune that was read out of the controller. If I use show PCM info with V7.5 it does show a different serial number. So just to be safe I will do pass thru flashing with V8 with all the fuses pulled, or I may just use my bench harness. Unless you think I'm asking for trouble since it is showing 2 different Serial numbers?

Thanks

Sam
    If your FlashScan is already licensed to the correct serial number then there's no issue using V7. The problem with the two different serial numbers is that in some circumstances the corrupt serial number can end up being used to license the controller to your FlashScan. But if it is already licensed then the worst thing that can happen is the flash won't start because it "thinks" the controller is not licensed to your V2.

Regardless, the V8 flash routines are more robust than the V7 flash routines and I recommend using V8 over V7 for reading and flashing

Regards
    Paul

Thanks for the reply, I will use V8. I use it for all pass thru flashing and reading. I have not licensed the controller yet, but when I do it will differently be with V8.

Thanks
    Sam

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12