Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cammed vz ss idle trouble

take 5 degrees out of the timing map for base idle spark.

see how that goes, if it's still a bit tame then bump up the under/over idle spark error correction.

also 29 degrees seems a bit high in the main spark map even if you have already taken some out

Quote Originally Posted by h41ry View Post
    hey guys i have a vz ss with an ls1 and comp cams 227/235 113lsa
    the tune was done by oztrack a few months ago but im not to happy wit the idle. sounds great as it warms up but at operating temp doesnt really sound like it has a cam in it. i have attached a copy of the tune file if anyone can have a look and tell me if they can fault it that would be great
    Attachment 19601
    G'day mate,
    Are you sure you've got one of oztracks tunes? Living in Australia your thread caught my eye so I had a quick look at your tune johncam8. Both spark tables Hi and Lo are identical. As knock is detected spark advance is reduced toward the low table (depending on other settings it will land somewhere in between Hi & Lo) but as your Lo table is identical to your Hi table your advance has nowhere to go. This effectively makes the knock sensors ineffective. I can't understand why a professional commercial operation would do that. Is it some sort of mail order tune?
    Peter
    HSV GTS Coupe 6.3Lt LS1, 224/234 @115, 1 3/4" Tri Y, M6, LS7 Clutch, True Trac.

Quote Originally Posted by GTS 383 View Post
    G'day mate,
    Are you sure you've got one of oztracks tunes? Living in Australia your thread caught my eye so I had a quick look at your tune johncam8. Both spark tables Hi and Lo are identical. As knock is detected spark advance is reduced toward the low table (depending on other settings it will land somewhere in between Hi & Lo) but as your Lo table is identical to your Hi table your advance has nowhere to go. This effectively makes the knock sensors ineffective. I can't understand why a professional commercial operation would do that. Is it some sort of mail order tune?
    Peter
    Wouldn't the ECM immediately subtract the KR value from the current running timing, and at the same time (or shortly thereafter) position running timing somewhere between HO and LO tables (which in this case are identical)...?
    Last edited by joecar; May 24th, 2016 at 05:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    Wouldn't the ECM immediately subtract the KR value from the current running timing, and at the same time (or shortly thereafter) position running timing somewhere between HO and LO tables (which in this case are identical)...?
    Hi Joecar,
    I've never tested for that scenario. It would barely be a blip I guess on Scan Tool, subtracting and then immediately reinstating advance for lack of any other instruction. Or would the recovery rate table get tangled up in it?
    HSV GTS Coupe 6.3Lt LS1, 224/234 @115, 1 3/4" Tri Y, M6, LS7 Clutch, True Trac.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12