Thread: Has anyone on EFI Live created a tutorial like this?

Default Has anyone on EFI Live created a tutorial like this?

I've seen much more beginner type help posted for HPT than EFI Live...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196696

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Are you looking for an E38 VVE tutorial...?

See the links in post #1 here: E38-VVE-Setup-Guide

I've read the tutorial over and over haha its def helpful, but it also feels like you need to have a background in tuning the older PCMs to understand the concepts behind it. The HPT link was more a dummy's guide.

Also something I'd like to see is how a small section on MAF tuning. I've read of people turning MAF off dialing in VVE .. then turning VVE off and dialing in MAF and then activating it all to get the final tune with much better behavior. Heck I've seen some people swear by a pure MAF tune with VVE turned off permanently.

Also what do we do when we get into the ignition timing? Esp with a boosted motor? Do we just set it high and hope the knock sensors pick it up, then turn it down until there is no more? Or is there a better way?

Is there somewhere I can look to set up my injector table? I have 80 lb/hr injectors and is there a science to setting up that table?

What's the best way of attacking the whole setup? Is there a step-by-step on what systems need to be looked at that someone should follow from beginning to end?

I know I'm asking a lot and most say get a book or sign up for a class but we have a wealth of knowledge hear already, the only issue is if anyone wants to share their knowledge.

Reason I'm going into all this is I'm a relative NooB to tuning this with a general understanding and it's def a steep learning curve.

Learning to tune doest work that way. There is no shortcut to learning to tune, it takes time, lots of reading, lots of time in the scan tool, lots of time in the tune tool and lots of data logging. Just because someone posts a step by step doesnt mean its right.

Yeah that's what I've been figuring out too. It just would be nice if there's a dummy's guide to tuning all in one place that having to search for each individual component of the equation in different threads and forums

+1 what minytrkr said...

and at each step you need to be able to tell if what is happening is good or bad and what to do about it.

Injector tables usually come from data obtained with injectors.

MAF tuning is simpler than VE/VVE tuning (you just have to figure out how to disable VE)(and of course trimming).

Spark tuning requires a dyno... so you would keep stock timing, and apply rule-of-thumb reduction for boost and/or nitrous... you do not set it high and you want the knock sensors to pick up only abnormal events and not normal running.

All the info is present in various places... schools charge for classes (given that they had to collect the info together and collate, sort, clean, amend, update, make understandable/resentable and test it), some people really benefit from those classes.

Here are some summary notes for LS1 controllers, they do apply to E38 (but table id's are different):

Summary-Notes

thanks!

worked on VVE tuning today and have a new respect for people who do it for a living

You can see how time flies, and that's why a good tune takes time (and the seemingly high fee is justified).