Thread: Dead ECM $0549

Default Dead ECM $0549

Think I had my first ecm die on me. Out of all the ECM that give me trouble, the Cummins is certainly not on the top of the list. It is the CMC controller and is now getting $0549. I know their was problems with this in the past due to "Smarty" files being used. I do not believe this to be the case. The truck had full DPF and EGR in tact. It has been stock it's whole life from what I am told. Did not have 601 bootloader in it so original ecm with original file. I read stock file, it read really slow. Took around 12 minutes. Modified and upgraded to CSP. Licensed controller and flashed in. I walked away from the flash for around 10 minutes because that's usually how long it takes. Well the flash finished after 4.5 minutes, way too quick IMO. Left key on for 6 minutes (roughly) after flash. Said flash finished successfully and I shut off key for the timer. Truck is now dead and will not communicate. V8 2.2.290 v7.5.7.299. Got it loaded and will try wi tech tomorrow but I have a feeling I need to find a new ecm. Anyone else have any ideas? Already had cables unbooked and shorted without luck. Put ecm in another truck with no luck. The tipm seems to be not getting a key on signal from the key or ecm? It will not bring on the Fass pump anymore with the key. The injector solenoids are not clicking either. Gauges seem good. Frustrating. It's weird how the flash completed successfully in such short time. Only think I did differently this time is left the key on after the flash for a significant amount of time. Can this cause it?

Can you post up the read you got from it?
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Attached. looks like the warnings were there in the stock file. what i did is read the file out and it said "ok to flash" in v8 bootloader status. that apparently is reffering to the file not having the anti tuning bootloader and not the file being a good base file. this is appearing to be a mistake and misunderstanding on my end. i didnt even pay attention to the status in v7.5. i guess i have been lucky to this point relying on the v8 bootloader status.

Stock.ctz

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	v8.PNG 
Views:	457 
Size:	181.8 KB 
ID:	19634

Bummer, that sucks you got caught out by that. Yes the 'ok to flash' in V8 is referring to the Anti-tuning bootloader which of course would result in a failed flash (though not brain dead flash) if it hadn't been patched.
    There is no recovery for those Smarty tunes that get read then flashed in resulting in a brick. Golden rule if the owner says he had a Smarty on it then don't even both reading or trying to use the tune, just start fresh with a known good file because the return to stock does not do what it says unfortunately.
    We will give you a replacement license as that is our policy but you will need to source another ECM.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

I replaced the ECM last week with a used one and all is well. How do I go about getting a replacement vin? I forgot about this until now.

Lifetime Member

You'll need to email support@efilive.com. They will need the following information:

1. FlashScan V2 serial #,
    2. EFILive License backup file, https://support.efilive.com/kb_artic...9413-RPHL-6309
    3. Copy of the replacement ECM invoice
    4. A link to this thread

Cheers
    Cindy
    Last edited by cindy@efilive; June 2nd, 2016 at 12:03 PM.

Lifetime Member

You'll need to email support@efilive.com. They will need the following information:

1. FlashScan V2 serial #,
    2. EFILive License backup file, https://support.efilive.com/kb_artic...9413-RPHL-6309
    3. Copy of the replacement ECM invoice
    4. A link to this thread

Cheers
    Cindy