Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Overseas OS + Calibrations on USA E98 ECM

Quote Originally Posted by hacklerjason View Post
    If I bought a new ecu over the counter to have on hand just in case, can efilive handle the task of flashing it up out of the box in case I brick my first one?
    No, there is portions of the ECM's that cannot be read out to then be used to initialise an out of the box ECM, it requires TIS.
    Then it also requires several items to be initialised with a TechII or similar on the vehicle itself.

I'm not scared at all I just want to know more about the capabilities before I go and start experimenting
    I'm trying to save you some time and money, it has already been attempted (non US OS in to a new US ECM using TIS), it corrupted it and could not be recovered.

When the OS and calibrations are read out, can that read out be used to flash a blank controller into service?
    No, see first response.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    No, there is portions of the ECM's that cannot be read out to then be used to initialise an out of the box ECM, it requires TIS.
    Then it also requires several items to be initialised with a TechII or similar on the vehicle itself.

I'm trying to save you some time and money, it has already been attempted (non US OS in to a new US ECM using TIS), it corrupted it and could not be recovered.

No, see first response.
    Then the ultimate question here is who is the baddest reverse engineer in here? I need to talk to him privately about some things I need in my chimney

Lifetime Member

Then the ultimate question here is who is the baddest reverse engineer in here? I need to talk to him privately about some things I need in my chimney
    You've spoken with him.

At this point, feel free to order the ECM and try for yourself to see if your outcome is better than the answers provided.

Given the title of your post, it's reasonable to assume you are based in the USA, or in a country where USA EPA laws are managed under reciprocal arrangements. Please save yourself the embarrassment of asking EFILive to help you defeat federal legislation. If that is your intent, EFILive is not the product for you.

Cheers
    Cindy

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by cindy@efilive View Post
    You've spoken with him.

At this point, feel free to order the ECM and try for yourself to see if your outcome is better than the answers provided.

Given the title of your post, it's reasonable to assume you are based in the USA, or in a country where USA EPA laws are managed under reciprocal arrangements. Please save yourself the embarrassment of asking EFILive to help you defeat federal legislation. If that is your intent, EFILive is not the product for you.

Cheers
    Cindy
    You're absolutely right! The assumption about my locale was correct... Why would I ask someone who works with efilive to reverse engineer something for me to the degree of breaking the law? That's silly! I will however hold on to the tools since there are the best on the market...
    Last edited by hacklerjason; May 26th, 2016 at 12:27 PM.

The whole point of reverse engineering is to become skilled with whatever you are trying to reverse engineer, you can't just buy this knowledge (at least not easily).

I haven't a clue. Could I figure it out? Probably. But it would take a lot of precious time. Probably a good couple months of working on it full time, if not more. Whose going to pay for that? You? Honestly it would probably be cheaper to hire one of the greatest lawyers in the country, and pursue legal action against GM or whoever made this ECM (Delco?).

Lifetime Member

You're absolutely right! The assumption about my locale was correct... Why would I ask someone who works with efilive to reverse engineer something for me to the degree of breaking the law? That's silly! I will however hold on to the tools since there are the best on the market...
    I don't know why you did - only you can answer that question. Your right, it was silly. I'm glad you've seen the light

Cheers
    Cindy

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by cindy@efilive View Post
    I don't know why you did - only you can answer that question. Your right, it was silly. I'm glad you've seen the light

Cheers
    Cindy
    We got lost in translation, but have a great day nonetheless! Its memorial day weekend!

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snipesy View Post
    The whole point of reverse engineering is to become skilled with whatever you are trying to reverse engineer, you can't just buy this knowledge (at least not easily).

I haven't a clue. Could I figure it out? Probably. But it would take a lot of precious time. Probably a good couple months of working on it full time, if not more. Whose going to pay for that? You? Honestly it would probably be cheaper to hire one of the greatest lawyers in the country, and pursue legal action against GM or whoever made this ECM (Delco?).
    Continental made the ecu... Time I have... Money I have... Time to play with money I have... Just the direction to go with all of it is the grey area ;-)... I haven't even taken delivery of my Colorado yet, but its been on order a few weeks now.. Bought efi and trying to get my feet wet to see how I will be able to get down with it...

Lifetime Member

And where I come from we don't barter in money... We barter in beer ;-) ... Besides... Its only a matter of time until the knowledge I seek surfaces..

Lifetime Member

Point being I'm not scared to experiment... But I've got a brand new tool I need to learn how to properly use before I start experimenting... The information is around for older models... I can brick an ecu and that won't deter me... I'm already pricing out the gm tools to commission new ecus or attempt to bring them back from the dead

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast