Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Overseas OS + Calibrations on USA E98 ECM

I'm guessing you just want to run deletes? Why else would you want to be doing this... You'd probably have better luck either somehow replacing the ECM outright, or reverse engineer your own US ECM. Then you just make a cax, and go to town. Or just not use EFI Live at all. Regardless of how you do it, it's not fun. Please heed my advice and walk away before you even begin this charade. I mean if you are really dedicated, I can't stop you. I just think you are being too naive. In this line of work you need to be as humble as possible, else you are just gonna get hurt.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snipesy View Post
    I'm guessing you just want to run deletes? Why else would you want to be doing this... You'd probably have better luck either somehow replacing the ECM outright, or reverse engineer your own US ECM. Then you just make a cax, and go to town. Or just not use EFI Live at all. Regardless of how you do it, it's not fun. Please heed my advice and walk away before you even begin this charade. I mean if you are really dedicated, I can't stop you. I just think you are being too naive. In this line of work you need to be as humble as possible, else you are just gonna get hurt.
    I'll make no such claims... I'm only putting feelers out for knowledge of the abilities of the tools, and will make no such claims about what it can and cannot do... Making cax files is on the list of things to research... Unless you have a thread open that speaks on cax files you'd like yo share before telling me to use the search function which I will be doing otherwise... Being humble isn't what I see to be relevant? I don't claim to be expert, but I did say I'm not scared... I'm not rich, but am comfortable enough to pay for my own mistakes made by reverse engineering as it won't be the first or last time... I'm not bragging about anything really there so I didn't see the relevance to being humble... I'm also not that guy that does cool shit to my cool shit and puts it all over the place... I am about the build... When the builds are finished I bore easily, sell and buy another to start over But all the same... Enjoy your memorial day weekend...

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snipesy View Post
    And just a piece of my mind... I do find it fun... I am a professional technician for the last 10 years, 15 total... I find it fun and I enjoy it... I like being challenged and my favorite thing in the world is when one of my mechanics tell me it can't be done... What they meant was that they can't do it... And the work my hands produce shows the difference between guys that show up for a paycheck and those that actually enjoy what they do... Just because you hate what you do means everyone does... Try to cheer up guy! Don't be a Debby downer

Quote Originally Posted by hacklerjason View Post
    I like being challenged and my favorite thing in the world is when one of my mechanics tell me it can't be done... What they meant was that they can't do it...
    Whilst that is sometimes true, you must also be willing to take advice from others mistakes. Like I had said to you, there has been an instance of non US software put in to the US ECM and it didn't end well and the ECM required replacement. I would say this was something GM did on purpose.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    Whilst that is sometimes true, you must also be willing to take advice from others mistakes. Like I had said to you, there has been an instance of non US software put in to the US ECM and it didn't end well and the ECM required replacement. I would say this was something GM did on purpose.
    Although I never did say it wasn't true, I was more inquiring on the specifics of what was different...

There is portions of the ECM's flash memory that cannot be accessed (not even by TIS), these are set up at Conti at the time of manufacturing. Unfortunately the structure of the data contained there changes between year models (in this case between US and non US). When you force an incompatible OS in there that data ends up getting corrupted and cannot be recovered, in the case of the E98 the vehicle will not start and the ECM becomes locked (not reversible).
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

Great! Thanks for that... I didn't mean to stir shit up but when a guy tells me to walk away or risk being hurt, I'm going to stir the pot just for the sake if seeing this "hurt"... And who does the hurting? And who does this " hurt", hurt?
    Last edited by hacklerjason; May 29th, 2016 at 09:09 AM.

Lifetime Member

Off thread subject, but can efilive recal replaced parts like injectors and vgt (if these are calibrated, they are for John Deere)

Lifetime Member

I don't mean anything illegal, I mean quite the opposite.. If you install replacement injectors but do not calibrate them, even if it runs, you're out of emissions compliance... Can efilive cal into the ecm these critical numbers?

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    I was also under the impression that continental provides only the ecu and not the software... Gm put the software of their own on it... So I am not sure what SSTs I will need to attempt this task... Should I investigate the dealer level tools from GM, or the OEM level tools from conti or VDO?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast