Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: AEM X-Series OBDII Wideband UEGO AFR Sensor Controller Gauge

I don't expect the AEM would support the packet-based high-speed logging that EFILive V8 uses. It most likely only supports generic scan mode which V8 does not support/use.
    If I had the expected format, I could probably implement it.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by dr.mike View Post
    That would be great, I'm still holding on to my LC-1's for now unless,...

How could I get hold of the communication protocol required to make this work?

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Now I'm confused, do you have access to work on or modify the AEM controller's firmware? I assume that the AEM only supports generic scanning (SAE-J1979 Mode $01) and does not support packet based scanning (SAE-J2190 Mode $2C and Mode $2A*).

Mode $01 is a generic PID request that simply requests a single PID's value and is what I assume the AEM is using (EFILive V8 does not use this mode)
    Mode $2C defines a dynamic data packet that will returns multiple (selected) PIDs' values.
    Mode $2A* requests the controller to continuously transmit one or more previously defined dynamic packets of PID data at various asynchronous speeds (slow, medium or fast) without FlashScan constantly requesting data.

I don't believe the AEM supports modes $2C and 2A* which are the only scan modes supported by V8.
    Again, assuming the ASM does not already implement modes $2C and $2A*, then to make the AEM work with those modes would require the manufacturer's of the AEM to modify the wide band controllers' firmware to support them.

V7 supports Mode $01 but since V7 was designed for use with VPW based controllers the FlashScan/AutoCal devices have been fitted with a CAN<->VPW bridge (similar to what GM calls their Tech2's CANdi interface). However the CAN<->VPW bridge in FlashScan and AutoCal was only ever designed to translate a single module during data logging.

So even if you could fool FlashScan into thinking the AEM was a normal CAN module (which is highly unlikely to start with) you could only log data from the AEM and not from the ECM and the AEM simultaneously.

I'm happy to be proven wrong and if the AEM does support modes $2C and $2A* then it would probably be something we could add support for relatively painlessly.

*Mode $2A or the manufacturer's specific alternative mode.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Yes. I can tweak the AEM firmware. That is how I got the OBDII working for the AEM wb , in the first place. I added the OBDII mode $01 responses to the CAN interface.

I will look into adding the $2A / $2C modes. Would that do it for the V8 ?

Lifetime Member

Paul, simply put- Yes he does. Dr. Mike handled the firmware modification of the original AEM X-Series WB (30-0300) with AEM's proprietary data acquisition module (via CAN) to support logging via regular CAN protocol (not sure which one HPT implemented). AEM now sells his (or a close variant) modded firmware as their OBDII compatible version (labeled 30-0333).

V8 is the Scan tool, from what it sounds like this is actually a limitation of the legacy V7 Scan tool and the FlashScan V2 hardware (correct me if I'm wrong here Paul/Ross). If you could implement either Mode $2A or $2C, it sounds like Paul could get it working pretty easily.

I'm happy to be a beta tester on this if you need someone Dr Mike, I've been eyeing one of these WBO2s for a bit now and would be happy to help with the EFILive integration!
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Something like :

( With the WB programmed to be 0x7e6 )

Request: 7E6 04 2C F7 00 24 - Place 0x24 PID into Dynamic DPID 0xFE
    Reply : 7EE 02 6C F7 00 00 00 00 00 - Positive Response

Request: 7E6 03 AA 04 F7 - Request at a Fast Rate Dynamic DPID 0xFE (which now contains 0x24 Lambda )
    Reply: 5EE FE XX XX XX XX 00 00 00 - Where XX is the Lambda/eq ratio. - Data. Sent continually

Request: 7E6 01 3E - Should occur around once every 3 seconds - Keep-alive for thee 5EE message.
    Reply: 7EE 01 7E 00 00 00 00 00 00 - Positive response.

??

Should be doable.

Now this is how user feedback should go. Hope they take info and work with ya Dr.mike. No good reason to not make it work. It is a superior logging method than eliminates a lot of hassles, along with higher accuracy.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Something like :

( With the WB programmed to be 0x7e6 )

Request: 7E6 04 2C F7 00 24 - Place 0x24 PID into Dynamic DPID 0xFE
    Reply : 7EE 02 6C F7 00 00 00 00 00 - Positive Response

Request: 7E6 03 AA 04 F7 - Request at a Fast Rate Dynamic DPID 0xFE (which now contains 0x24 Lambda )
    Reply: 5EE FE XX XX XX XX 00 00 00 - Where XX is the Lambda/eq ratio. - Data. Sent continually

Request: 7E6 01 3E - Should occur around once every 3 seconds - Keep-alive for thee 5EE message.
    Reply: 7EE 01 7E 00 00 00 00 00 00 - Positive response.

??

Should be doable.
    Request: 7E6 04 2C FE 00 24 - Place 0x24 PID into Dynamic DPID 0xFE
    Reply : 7EE 02 6C FE 00 00 00 00 00 - Positive Response
    I presume that was just a typo.

I'm pretty sure FlashScan/AutoCal does not require a response to the 01,3E keep alive.

Correct, it should be AA, not 2A.

I'll need to do some minor mods to FlashScan to support three controllers simultaneously - because those with ECM+TCM will want to use this to log ECM+TCM+AEM simultaneously.

How can I get my hands an an AEM controller that I can use for testing? Happy to purchase one if required.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

I can get you a 30-0333. And, hopefully, the USB reflash tool, in case I need to update it.

Once we have it working, I can get the AEM guys to merge it into the release code for the 30-0333.

PM me, and we can work out the details.

Also, if you are going to crack it open, maybe allow for 4 controllers. Seems a lot of people like to use 2 widebands.

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast