Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ecm questions for big block chevy swap

Default Ecm questions for big block chevy swap

Hi all, so I'm planning a big block Chevy swap for my 1993 Chevy half ton and I have no clue what controller I'm going to use. It's going to be a Blueprint Engines 509 cubic inch long block and I'm going to be converting it to using multiport fuel injection and coil near plug ignition using a 24x crank reluctor and a factory replacement gen 7 vortec 8100. If need be, I can switch to a 58x crank reluctor and a 4x cam reluctor from a gen 4 LS. Either that or use a Fueltech controller, I'd be more familiar with tuning that, at least to get it running. After its all assembled I'll have it tuned by someone who knows what they're doing. Although will an LS cam sprocket work on a big block?

Anyway thanks in advance.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

You may be interested in this: https://www.eficonnection.com/

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    You may be interested in this: https://www.eficonnection.com/
    That's actually where I'm getting the crank reluctor, timing cover, cam & crank position sensors, and possibly the timing set for it. Although I may instead just use a Fueltech 600 because I do plan one day on upgrading from naturally aspirated to a Whipple 8.3 liter supercharger and port injected intake manifold combo and I imagine the 600 would be my best bet for controlling it and having a really nice running engine. Problem with the 600 though is with the harness and sensors its close to $5k and pretty well every other controller using GM hardware is ~$2k...

Lifetime Member

If you use EFIConnection's kit, you can easily run boost up to 2Bar on the stock PCM if you use a 99-02 PCM and an 02 Express Van OS with COS5. You dont aftermarket ECM features like boost control and launch control, but it's significantly less expensive.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Well the thing is, I know nothing about tuning a factory pcm, I have the instruction manual for the 600 downloaded on my phone and have been reading that when I have had time so I could at least get it up and running enough to get it to a professional tuner. Plus, I know at least with the 600 it has the option for sequential fuel injection and I have no clue what the factory runs...

Post the Fueltech pdf (or a url to it).

Lifetime Member

All LSx based factory PCM/ECMs are sequential injection and sequential spark WHEN running a LSx engine. The PCMs also controlled the 7.4 and 8.1 BBC, both sequential MPFI at least when paired with the LSx PCMs and the 8.1 has CNP ignition so sequential spark as well.

If you're looking for more advice based on overall EFI selection, this may not be the correct forum as this forum is dedicated to tuning of factory GM controllers using EFILive's products. Fueltech is a great option as well if you go that route. It's going to come down to what you want to do, what you want to spend, and if you're getting it professionally tuned, I'd ask for that tuner's recommendation as he will definitely have a preference.
    ~Erik~
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.

So I've decided I'm going to go with a GM controller for my swap and I have some questions about what I'll need to get it up and running sensor wise and what ecm/pcm would be best for my plans. Is there a difference in the tuning between say an ecm from a truck as opposed to a car? What ecm should I go with? And will it make it easier on the tuner if I get a harness configured with both MAF and MAP sensors? And speaking of sensors, besides crank & cam position sensors, O2 sensors, coolant temp sensors, what sensors will I need? Knock sensor? Fuel pressure sensor? Oil pressure? Oil temp? Thanks in advance.

Lifetime Member

Are you going to use EFIConnection's kit for crank/cam signals? I know you mentioned using 8100 parts, do you have that sorted out? IMO you're better off sticking with an 01-02 512kb LS1B PCM with the 8.1 OS, it'll be tunable as if it was a 8100 from GM that way. Do you need a COS to support forced induction?

Off the top of my head:
    CKP
    CMP
    ECT
    IAT
    MAF (if desired, could tune as speed density)
    Knock sensors - setup as factory 8.1 if possible
    O2s (front only)
    Oil pressure - up to you, should be a provision to use it as all LSx engines have a sensor for this
    Oil temp - don't think you can connect to factory PCM
    Fuel pressure - up to you, not needed
    ~Erik~

It's not going to be forced induction, the way it stands right now the motor's spec'd to cost ~$16k and a blower the way I spec'd it out would be ~$12k. I'm going to be using stuff from EFI Connection but idk what one of their 24x kits I'm going to use yet. I may just end up going with a kit that has a crank position sensor and cam sync distributor but I have thought about plumbing in an electric oil pump for use to keep the oil circulating through the cooler if the engine overheats, same with the electric pump for the cooling system. I'm probably more paranoid about an overheating situation than I should be but I've had the sbc that's factory in my truck overheat three or four different times in the short time I've had it, about a year, and I don't want a nice engine like this one to get damaged because of it. Anyway, if I do I'll eliminate the oil pump driven by the cam so if I do that I'll use a kit with a crank and cam position sensor in the timing cover... Anyway, I figured I'd need all that but I don't understand tuning a factory ecm so I don't understand that much. But with the knock sensor, is that mounted in the block or the head on the 8100? I have seen a couple of pics of where it's located but they were basically diagrams and it wasn't clear. Will I be fine with only using one coolant temp sensor if it's by the thermostat housing that way it's a more accurate reading? And I'll post a pdf of the instructions for the Fueltech 600 when I have a WiFi connection, doesn't work so well on low speed mobile data.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast