Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1/4 mile gains not what I was expecting

In your HPT trans tune, goto Trans->Torque Management and you will see Torque Reduction...

underneath that you will see Upshift: Enabled

you could try to disable it, but you have to be careful...

I would rather leave it enabled and instead find the table that it uses to remove spark advance and edit it instead, but I don't see a table for that.

Summary:
    - spark advance could be 24* at WOT with commanded Lambda at 0.86 (EQR 1.163).
    - upshift torque reduction is too severe (it sends spark adavnce to -14*; something like 15* would be more appropriate).
    - a higher stall would help (even with 2.56 gearing).

Some overall gear ratio comparisons:

4L60E: 1st gear 3.059
    axle 3.23 * 3.059 = 9.88
    axle 3.73 * 3.059 = 11.41

6L80: 1st gear 4.027
    axle 2.56 * 4.027 = 10.31

so your 2.56 axle gear is not a significant impact.

But looking at the TQ curve on your dyno chart, a 3600 stall would help quite a lot.

I agree with this person:
    Quote Originally Posted by rrmccabe View Post
    Looking at the dyno charts I really dont think your gains are that far off using the converter you are running.

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    Some overall gear ratio comparisons:

4L60E: 1st gear 3.059
    axle 3.23 * 3.059 = 9.88
    axle 3.73 * 3.059 = 11.41

6L80: 1st gear 4.027
    axle 2.56 * 4.027 = 10.31

so your 2.56 axle gear is not a significant impact.

But looking at the TQ curve on your dyno chart, a 3600 stall would help quite a lot.

I agree with this person:
    WOW! that's a wealth of info there. I have all that torque reduction in there because I was trying to emulate what GM is doing on the 2014+ C7 Vettes, but I don't think the ECM is advanced enough (or it could be that the DI system gives it that much better control of fueling, which I'm sure it does.) I will likely reduce the amount of spark retard (there's a master torque reduction timing table or a minimum final timing table, don't remember which but I know where it is in the software). Also, HPT allows me to adjust the torque management requested by the trans to any value between 0-100%, so I may try something like 70% reduction instead of 100% like it's currently commanded to do.

As far as the timing/fueling goes, to make sure I have it straight, essentially adding in a bit of extra fuel should allow me to get a bit more timing out of the motor while still steering clear of detonation.

While I have your attention, I've had some issues with converter lockup (I know my current tune is set to never lock; I did this so that I'm not just burning up clutch material). From my research on here, HPT, and the 6l80etuning forum, GM changed the programming drastically for 2011+ models, which makes the TCM not respond to zeroing out the slip tables. Because of this, aftermarket single disc converters (like mine) don't seem to want to properly lock. I see 200-500RPM of slip anywhere above 25% throttle, which means that it's constantly slipping if I'm cruising at 90+ on the toll roads. After a while, the TCM decides that it's been slipping too much and goes into limp mode, which forces me into 5th gear and a few other things. I've tried forcing it to lock using the DVT controls and it's the same story; slip any time I exceed 20-25% throttle.

According to what I've found, there's no software suite out there that is able to adjust the necessary tables to prevent this from happening. Sooooo basically my plan is to ProTorque this week to see if they can build me a triple disc converter that doesn't mind a little bit of slip, and that can also lock at low RPM, low throttle to High RPM, WOT, and anywhere in between. If they can't do it, there's a 60 day unconditional return policy that they have, which I unfortunately may have to take advantage of. Either way, if I have to replace the converter, I think I will go to at least a 3200 stall as recommended here and on CF.

Anyway, my question here is: am I on the right track with this issue; I.E., there is no way to make an aftermarket single disc work properly with a 2011+ 6L80? That's the answer I got on 6l80etuning, but I'm just making sure I don't needlessly have my trans pulled AGAIN and swap converters AGAIN when this could just be a simple fix.

Here's the latest tune that I have that still commanded lockup:
    lockup tune.zip

Thanks for all the help so far! y'all are awesome.

dynocom dyno's are crap for doing power runs. especially if your doing a power run with no load as it spins the motor up way to fast to do any real data logging of the afr/timing.

i think you'd be better off with a 3400rpm converter too, yours doesnt look like it's launching any harder than a stock one.

I can give you some assistance through team viewer if you want to try and resolve the lockup problem. in the meantime take a look at the following thread on hpt forum.
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...fts-killing-me

Quote Originally Posted by Tre-Cool View Post
    dynocom dyno's are crap for doing power runs. especially if your doing a power run with no load as it spins the motor up way to fast to do any real data logging of the afr/timing.

i think you'd be better off with a 3400rpm converter too, yours doesnt look like it's launching any harder than a stock one.

I can give you some assistance through team viewer if you want to try and resolve the lockup problem. in the meantime take a look at the following thread on hpt forum.
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...fts-killing-me
    I agree with you about the dynocoms...it may cost me 3x more to make runs on the superflow, but the operator lets me run for as long as I want and he lets me actually make the runs myself - something I'd never had the opportunity to do at the other shop. That, and the superflow is just a superbly built machine.

regarding the converter, the one run I did without any brake stall launched a good deal harder than the others but spun the tires all the way through first, so I think I'm just traction limited - could be completely wrong though as I only have maybe 20 drag strip passes under my belt total...haven't even developed a consistent technique yet lol

I'd certainly be happy to give it a shot to try and fix the lockup. Out of interest, what jumps out at you as something we could adjust to try to get it to behave? It would make me indescribably happy to get this thing running without 1. paying a mechanic to swap converters/waiting for a new one to get build or 2. dropping my transmission in my garage for the first time ever on floor jacks lol. Get this thing to lockup right and I'll definitely paypal you for your time.

From that thread, I gather that adjusting the pressure preset settings makes a pretty substantial difference in the shifting. Most of my tune is an adapted version of a 2014 C7 tune (that is, I interpolated the pressure/timing values to match the RPM/torque/etc. values in the C6 tune). I haven't yet adjusted any of the preset settings, and although I'm VERY happy with the shifts I have now, the amount of positive feedback in that thread makes me want to give that a go just for fun lol.

Quote Originally Posted by njedwardz View Post
    So I expect that on that dyno it would currently put down 480-500
    I really dont keep up with the Vettes but what was the crank HP on that car stock? Wasn't the base C6 430 HP? If so what kind of gains are you expecting out of a cam to make 500 to the wheels?

Sorry if I missed the model or something in your specs.

Quote Originally Posted by njedwardz

Also, HPT allows me to adjust the torque management requested by the trans to any value between 0-100%, so I may try something like 70% reduction instead of 100% like it's currently commanded to do.

Where is this table, I could not see it in your HPT trans tune...?

Or is it in your HPT engine tune...? Can you post this also, please.

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    Where is this table, I could not see it in your HPT trans tune...?

Or is it in your HPT engine tune...? Can you post this also, please.
    Engine tune should be in the same file as the trans tune (HPT is weird and doesn't save them separately, but you can choose which controller to write to. I only write the TCM with HPT and only the ECM with EFI - complicated, but that's the way that's worked best so far lol).

In HPT -> trans -> torque management -> Adder Modifier.

A value of 0 means maximum (100%) TM is requested. A value of 0.3 means 70% of TM is requested. 0.5 requests 50%. 1.0 would request NO torque management in the relevant cells. Got this info from the 6L80etuning forum I'm a part of.

rrmccabe: bone stock, the car put down 366/380 on the dynocom. After bolt-ons/tune, it put down 440/450. With no modifications, the car put down 400/390 on the superflow - I assume it was making the same power that it did before, so it's reasonable to think that I would see a similar percent increase on any dyno. The car made 440/400 after the cam on the superflow, which is a 10% increase. So, I think it would be making around 480/450 on the dynocom, and possibly more considering those are simple inertia based dynos.

Here's the tunes I'll be flashing in today. Will report back with impressions.
    5-30-16 tunes.zip

ah, ok, Modifier...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast