Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need another license to go from eli live to hp tuners and back to efi live?

Default Need another license to go from eli live to hp tuners and back to efi live?

I have a 96 camaro with a 24x LS1 PCM conversion on it that was tuned years ago with efi live. The tuner couldn't get it to idle right and he wasn't as familiar with efi live as he was with hp tuners, so he flashed in an hp tuners tune but never got around to finishing the tune. I have efi live and I'm moving so I want to put efi live back in so I can make adjustments if needed. I had the tuner unlock the hp tuners and put in a stock camaro tune, but when I try to flash in my efi live tune, it says I don't have enough licenses even though this pcm was licensed already, about 5 years ago. I contacted efi live and sent them the tune that's in the pcm now and the one I'm trying to flash in. They say that the controller contains different serial numbers for the two tunes. The pcm was never changed, just tuning software. The tune I'm trying to put in is a custom operating system if that matters.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	efi live screenshot.png 
Views:	733 
Size:	590.1 KB 
ID:	19787

That pic shows 2 different PCM serial numbers... I think your tuner swapped PCM's (otherwise how could the serial number change)... see if he still has the other one.

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    That pic shows 2 different PCM serial numbers... I think your tuner swapped PCM's (otherwise how could the serial number change)... see if he still has the other one.
    I stood there the entire time it was tuned originally over 5 years ago and the 3 minutes it took to flash it back to stock last weekend, it's the only pcm that has been in it since I switched to the 24x system. Is there another way the serial number could have been switched?

I shouldn't have to buy another license because of a glitch in the system. I understand some people try to cheat Efi live, but this most certainly is not the case. Had I know switching to go tuners was going to cause an issue like this, I would have never allowed it.

Lifetime Member

Default Need another license to go from eli live to hp tuners and back to efi live?

Not only is the serial number different, the vin and OS are different too. It appears that both files were from different PCMs.

EFILive licensing to PCM serial is very effective, and very stable. The length of time between you flashing your vehicle would not be a valid reason the PCM serial number changed. It's an indication that at some point someone has swapped out your PCM.

Cheers
    Cindy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

The unique Serial Number in the PCM is different - this is not a "glitch". It is also not something that EFILive did.

If, and only if, this is actually the same physical PCM, then the unique Serial Number has been altered - perhaps for licensing reasons with HPT by your tuner. Some people will clone PCMs to thwart licensing requirements by tuning softwares.

You will need another EFILive license to tune it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by cindy@efilive View Post
    Not only is the serial number different, the vin and OS are different too. It appears that both files were from different PCMs.

EFILive licensing to PCM serial is very effective, and very stable. The length of time between you flashing your vehicle would not be a valid reason the PCM serial number changed. It's an indication that at some point someone has swapped out your PCM.

Cheers
    Cindy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The vin and os are different because the tuner put in a stock Camaro tune, just a random stock tune. This vehicle sat in my locked garage from the time it was tuned in October 2011 until I took the pcm out on Saturday to take it down and have it flashed in front of my eyes back to a stock tune. There is a 0% chance that this pcm is not the original tune. I don't know what happened but obviously something between Efi live and hp tuners doesn't mesh together.

The vehicle sits for months at a time with the battery disconnected in my garage, I don't know if that has any merit or not.

Was the same EFILive V2 used to flash it originally as you are trying to flash it with now? If not, regardless of what was done with the PCM, you will need a new VIN license to flash the PCM yourself. EFILive licenses the controller to a specific V2 and that license CANNOT transfer from V2 to V2.
    Duane

2008 Ram 3500 QuadCab
    Hamilton 110# Springs & HD Pushrods, ARP 2000s, EFILive, SB 3250 DD

Quote Originally Posted by KhakiCummins View Post
    Was the same EFILive V2 used to flash it originally as you are trying to flash it with now? If not, regardless of what was done with the PCM, you will need a new VIN license to flash the PCM yourself. EFILive licenses the controller to a specific V2 and that license CANNOT transfer from V2 to V2.
    Yes, same v2 different laptop. Only thing that changed was the tune and switching to hp tuners. Was just talking to my tuner and he agrees, it's something with Efi live.

My tuner doesn't have his own EfiLive, so he downloaded it and used my v2 and cables to flash it into the car.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by SS Duramax View Post
    ... Was just talking to my tuner and he agrees, it's something with Efi live ...
    Neither you nor your tuner understand how tuning softwares license individual PCMs. HPT applies its license by a combination of the unique PCM Serial Number, the VIN, and the operating system. EFILive applies its license by the unique PCM Serial Number solely - which is far more generous to the end user.

Some tuners feel the need to "lock" tunes. This is their choice, but sometimes it can do strange things to the respective controller. When your tuner applied the HPT locking algorithm, and selected their "write entire" flash option, it could have rewritten the PCMs unique Serial Number. It is also possible that your tuner cloned the PCM.

Either way, your tuner owes you an EFILive VIN license.

Connect your V2 to your PC, then in V8 S&T click on the Licenses button, then click on the VINs tab, and post a screenshot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast