Thread: EFI Live in wine on Linux mint 17.3

Default EFI Live in wine on Linux mint 17.3

I just made the switch to Linux Mint after uncle Bill forced win 10 on me. I know there are utilities out there to prevent the forced update but I'm just tired of Microsoft's garbage. I know a few people have tried to run efi live in wine with limited success. As I understand it the big issue is that wine doesn't support usb well at all. I did a little research and saw others having success with other usb devices in wine. Because in linux "everything is a file", usb devices show up looking like /dev/usb/usb1 you can create a drive in wine that maps to a usb device. I'm not sure how to handle the windows end of that but I have seen people using webcams in wine using this method. I'll do some more digging and see what I can find. If I can't get this to work I'll just have to make a win7 bootable usb drive just to run efi live. I don't like the idea of dual booting... If anyone has anything related to share I would love to hear it.

I found this

I like Linux Mint but unfortunately I just can't use it for everything I need to do (I refuse to run dual boot or VM machines just so I don't need to use Windows). Joe on here I think runs Linux full time with EFILive.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Are you talking about Joe car? He has been a big help to me.

Not holding my breath for a port, I know it's been discussed before, but it would be nice
    2001 Camaro SS
    EFILive Custom OS3

I would love a Linux native version of efi live but I can understand that there is no financial incentive in doing that. I did find a repository containing a modified version of wine that has USB support but I haven't had any luck getting that to work yet. I'm also hearing that the new version of wine (1.9) will include USB support although I can't find many details about it. I'm still learning about Linux and its command line interface so its been slow going for me.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    Joe on here I think runs Linux full time with EFILive.
    I did dual boot (Boot Camp) for a while until the MacBook died (VGA chip desoldered itself, nasty BGA affair)... and then it was much cheaper to replace it with an x86 laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by greasess View Post
    I would love a Linux native version of efi live but I can understand that there is no financial incentive in doing that.
    Not when there is only one software programmer at EFILive who already has their hands full with Windows and its many iterations, it'll never happen sorry.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.