Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CVIN number. Educate me please.

Lifetime Member

Default CVN number. Educate me please.

I just bought a 2016 Camaro SS and was asking the service manager what mods I could get away with under warrantee. He didn't get deep into it but when we got to tunes he said since 2008 they could tell if a tune was done and removed for warrantee issues. What he did say though is that they only check the CVN number. His buddy has HPT and has figured out a way to tune under the stock CVN number so it doesn't leave a marker. I didn't get to talk to him much more about it so I figure I would post up here to see if anyone is doing this with EFI Live and how can I do it. This car is painfully slow and want to start my mods.
    Last edited by PRAY; July 30th, 2016 at 11:50 AM.
    02 Z06, 573/530rw N/A 416, 10.21@136.12.

Well... Theoretically there are 2^16 possible CVN combinations. Which is not very many. Find some bytes you can change and just have a program brute force it until the CVN matches stock. Only problem is you can't just snag the unencrypted file from EFI Live, so you'll have to work around that...

Other way is to somehow clear the history. Which would require a lot of time and effort...

Orrrrr just fight them. Yes you flashed a different CVN but so what? They can't prove anything with that. You'll probably end up almost going to court over that... But in time you'd win.

Lifetime Member

CVN number. Sorry about that. I guess I didn't hear him properly. Sounds like it is above my pay grade and not worth messing with it. I was hoping it was doable. Thanks for the response. I guess I will just have to roll the dice or find a dealership that will warrantee a tune.

Our software used to have CVN correction built in too, but had to be removed for legal reasons.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

That sucks. Understandable though. Most of the hand-helds are claiming they are undetectable now. Only time will tell.

My understanding is that to ignore the cvn changes you have to disable the processor checksum. Which would leave you wide open for liability. Bad things can happen when you ignore processors errors. Can't imagine anyone wanting that liability.

Lifetime Member

One point a lawyer stated on one of the forums was that since they say it is for "off road use only" they can get away with it. That was very paraphrased of course.

Quote Originally Posted by PRAY View Post
    One point a lawyer stated on one of the forums was that since they say it is for "off road use only" they can get away with it. That was very paraphrased of course.
    If it's off road use then why worry with cvn and the liability?

Lifetime Member

I was trying to state what these other tuning companies are using as a liability shelter for apparently breaking the law. Very few people would buy hand held tuners if the manufacture couldn't or wouldn't make the claim that it won't void your warrantee. Check out the Camaro 6 board, I have never seen people so worried about how to get away with modding and not voiding their warrantee. I think that disclaimer is how any manufacture of aftermarket parts stays in business and stays legal. They know 99% of their customers have no intention of keeping their products off of public highways. Headers and exhaust parts come to mind first. And God forbid you live in Commifornia where I grew up. Most companies are not going to spend the money and time to get their product C.A.R.B. EO approved.

My opinion is if you are tuning the vehicle then you accept the consequences including a warranty void.

If you don't want to play and lose a warranty then leave it 100% stock.

Even altering one thing like tire size for different tires will change the CVN and could be a potential reason for a warranty void.

It is your choice as the vehicle owner to tune or not, my 2013 Vette had that stupid skip shift, I tuned it out, no power added, and it was my choice, warranty is voided even though I didn't add any power if GM wanted to use it as any excuse for warranty claims.

Due to that I accept all responsibility for my choice.
    www.mscservices.net

Tuner of many, many Duramax and Cummins Diesels.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast