Thread: Expensive Tuning Problem!!

Default Expensive Tuning Problem!!

Hi Fellas,

Hope someone can help me here I have a WM caprice L98 E38 and have had two tunes now after putting in a GM hotcam.

The first was remote and had nearly no success whatsoever in getting any part of idle correct.

The second was a bloke who said he could fix it and has it a lot better but it dips like mad approaching stopping and often stalls.

He says its an auto trans problem and the torque converter is too tight and I need a new transmission.

I can't believe this is true surely there is a better way of tuning it everything else is fine except approaching a stop.

It only idles at 550 in gear does this sound too low for a gm hotcam? Could this contribute to the issue? And perhaps increasing the underspeed multiplier for coasting? I've read heaps of helpful guides on here but I don't have efilive to experiment for myself and after outlaying nearly 3k for two tunes I have no more money either!!

Can someone give me something to tell this tuner? Does his explanation sound reasonable or does he just not know how to do it? I can't believe a mild cam like this could be so much trouble to get tuned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You should post up here where you are located, there might be some shops nearby that could take a look.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    You should post up here where you are located, there might be some shops nearby that could take a look.

Sorry I'm in Melbourne VIC. Cheers.

Luis at APS will sort it

Quote Originally Posted by macca_779 View Post
    Luis at APS will sort it
    Yeah I've heard good things about him.

I was mainly after someone who can offer a pointer as to what I can ask my current tuner to do.....I can't afford a 3rd tune!!!

I don't know if he is missing something.....it idles fine in park and drive and handles the change to drive fine.

But coasting up to the lights it stalls surely it can't be impossible to fix but he says he can't do anything.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maccaz View Post
    I was mainly after someone who can offer a pointer as to what I can ask my current tuner to do.....
    Ask your current tuner to give you your money back.

hot cam doesnt appear to be that big in duration/lift or lsa. Id say he needs to redo or adjust the idle minimum airflow tables and any associated spark maps. really depends on idle map pressure.

i've done bigger cams with blowers and still ran the stock stall even with higher idle.

If you can post a more accurate location , maybe somebody near you could read out your ECM so you can post up here for better advice.
    It's all good until it goes "Bang"