Thread: Help with E38 which ECM and TCM to use

Default Help with E38 which ECM and TCM to use

HELP! I purchased a 2008 6.2/6L80E to install in my 2004 Silverado SS. The guy did not have the ECM...hack job of removing engine...but only 75,000 on motor. My question...Since I will have to buy an ECM, what year would be best? I understand it is best to match MY of ECM/TCM. Motor has VVT, but no AFM/DOD. I want to flash the TCM with a Corvette operating system, so I can utilize TUTD. There is no 2008 Escalade stock tune on Dropbox! BTW...there is no 2008 Corvette auto tune on Dropbox either...or so it appears. Will 2009 or 2007 work? Is there any advantage to purchasing an ECM from a 2008 Escalade? I will need to disable VATS, but no BCM is involved since I will be piggybacking on SS ECM for dash functions.

Afterthought...If there is a chance that the 08 ECM will send the proper signals to dash, BCM, etc...is it possible to link BCM to Escalade ECM using EFILive?

Thanks for the help...and yes I'm just learning!!!!
    Jim
    Last edited by Hideintire; July 15th, 2016 at 12:08 AM. Reason: text omitted
    1967 C106 - 1967 Chevy C10 with complete Corvette C6Z suspension and drivetrain. LS2. 6sp. 3.42. 19x10 and 19x12 Gumbys. 295/345 Michelins. Brembo brakes.

Lifetime Member

You're going to either need to run the stock PCM that came in your SSS with not use VVT or the 6L80E OR need to run an E67 as the E38 cannot do VPW comms and you'll lose your stock dash functionality in the SSS.

It's not as simple with the Gen IV/V swaps. Im not a 6L80E expert, but you'll need to ensure the OS that's in the TCM now works with whichever ECM OS you purchase.

I think you're going to be looking for an E67 CTS-V ECM and OS as it's one of the few I can think of (Camaro ZL1 comes to mind too) that uses an E67 with a 6L80E. The trucks and Vettes use a E38.

1. Once you figure that out, then you need to pick a year (likely 2008 as flashing the TCM with a different year OS can be tricky, again Im not a 6L80E guy so hope someone else chimes in on this).
    2. Buy an ECM that matches the OS you want
    3. Buy a pedal that works with the ECM and ECM OS
    4. Make sure the ECM OS works with the TCM OS.
    5. Check and figure out if the ECM OS will talk to the VPW comms in your truck, otherwise you'll likely need to piggyback the necessary signals to the stock PCM so it can run the cluster.

Im not trying to be pessimistic here, but there are a bunch of electrical parts you need to figure out first BEFORE buying any parts, or you'll end up chasing your tail and wasting $$ in the process.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Thank you ScarabEpic22!

Now help a beginner out, please. I'm not following your first sentance...will a 2008 E67 talk to the 2004 BCM? Does the E67 not send info through CANBUS link? I was led to understand that all newer than 2007 or so were CAN systems. I had figured I would need to piggyback my existing ECM/BCM for dash and AC.

I understand that operating system is the defining criteria...not year of ECM/TCM. And that ECM/TCM/Gas Pedal must be correct match.

Is there a way to check and figure out if the ECM OS will talk to the VPW comms in my truck??? Any help here would be appreciated!!! I'm not fond of buying parts before knowing if they will work.

I would like to retain VVT...if possible. I am interested in improving the gas mileage...changing from 4.10 to 3.42 gears...and retaining factory cam.

Thanks again for help!
    1967 C106 - 1967 Chevy C10 with complete Corvette C6Z suspension and drivetrain. LS2. 6sp. 3.42. 19x10 and 19x12 Gumbys. 295/345 Michelins. Brembo brakes.

Lifetime Member

Hi Erik,

You may not consider yourself a 6L80 guy, but your explanation is quite good !

OK ....

Hideintire - you never posted your ECM and TCM tunes, so a few assumptions will follow.

Typically, 2008 trucks with the 6L80 used T43 OS 24239353 - which was the same OS used by 2007 Corvette T43s - so no problem with compatibility there.

If you use an E38 ECM, then you will need to keep your PCM in place, and run it "piggyback" as you described.

If you use an E67 ECM - you can eliminate your PCM from the equation, which makes things less complicated. However, the only E67 calibration that will work is a 2008 or 2009 TBSS (2007 TBSS won't communicate with the 6L80).

See the thread below ... pretty much the exact same thing you are doing.

https://forum.efilive.com/showthread...cruise-control

Good thread

Thank you Taz!
    Sorry the motor/tranny is from a 2008 Escalade...I do not know the OS of the TCM. I really like the idea of using the E67...it will simplify things. You mentioned that 08 and 09 are 6l80E compatible...but do I have to stick with an 08 to match the TCM or can I reflash any 08/09 E67. Can I retain the VVT using E67? Or, would that require advanced programming which a beginner like myself should not undertake!
    Thanks again!

Lifetime Member

E67s are/were used in applications that had VPW/GMLAN-based comms for the rest of the vehicle (TrailBlazers, CTS-V, etc) and with factory supercharged applications (CTS-V, ZL1). E38s don't have factory boost control that the E67s do. In my (limited) knowledge, these 2 differences (VPW/GMLAN comms and factory boost control) plus VVT control are the 3 factors that separate the ECMs.

You should be able to retain the VVT on this engine. Taz outlined the proper T43 OS, you'll need to read the TCM OS to ensure it's the correct one (and flash a Corvette OS to gain TUTD). I'd stick with an 08 ECM as it will ensure that the ECM and TCM communicate easily.

If the TBSS OS is the proper one to use, I have at least 1 ECM with an 08 OS and another with an 09 OS...however I dont know (haven't looked) how to control VVT with the TBSS OS.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

GM uses the E67 for factory boost controls on the ZL1, etc. You indicate the E38 doesn't have this. What is involved hardware, wiring, etc to the boost control. I have a customer wanting to install a take off blower from a ZL1 or CTS-V onto his 2011 LS3 (I think it might be an auto) Camaro.
    The mechanical bolt on isn't huge. There is a concern with internals. I am concerned are there items I may be missing. Has anyone done this conversion.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TurboCamaro View Post
    GM uses the E67 for factory boost controls on the ZL1, etc. You indicate the E38 doesn't have this. What is involved hardware, wiring, etc to the boost control. I have a customer wanting to install a take off blower from a ZL1 or CTS-V onto his 2011 LS3 (I think it might be an auto) Camaro.
    The mechanical bolt on isn't huge. There is a concern with internals. I am concerned are there items I may be missing. Has anyone done this conversion.
    Thanks
    Plenty of people have done blower/lsa conversion on the e38 powered cars. You just dont have boost control it will run whatever the pulleys will allow for.

My understanding is the "boost control" on the e67/lsa powered cars is there to drop boost, it wont allow any more then is mechanically possible based on pulley sizes/speeds.

Thank Tre-Cool
    Awesome easy deal than.
    Who would want to reduce boost anyway, LOL