Thread: locking a tune

Default locking a tune

Hi everyone , been a while. I have a question about the lock feature on my V2. I have tuned my friends 97 suburban that we swapped in a 0411 pcm with a modded lq9 , works great . My friend took it to a dyno shop to fine tune it and the tech there said the tune was locked so he could not read it and then make modifications. The shop uses HP tunners by the way. I did not lock the tune when doing all the mods with efilive , i believe you have to check the lock box , i never created a key for any of the tunes i have flashed into his pcm even at the beginning when i did a full flash with my bench harness. Does the flashscan automatically lock the tune and if so i would like to unlock it so he can get it tunned on the dyno by the shop. I was there and i saw the hp tunners try to connect , gets about half way connected and then theres a pop up about something like being locked. Can it be a glitch in his Hp tunners or is it truly locked. Thanks guys. Eric

Lifetime Member

Have the shop update their version of HPT. But no, unless you used a COS or locked the PCM, it should be unlocked. Did you change the VIN to match your buddies 97 VIN or is it a normal 0411 VIN? HPT cant deal with VIN/OS mismatches well (if at all), you might need to put a "real" 02 Burb VIN in the PCM with EFILive so HPT can read it and tune it. Once they're done, hook up EFILive and change the VIN back.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Thanks for getting back . I am sorry about the delay , been a busy weekend. I figured it was something like that as i am very sure i would have remembered if i had locked it. I believe i used the scan tool to enter his original 98 vin in the tune.
    If my friend does go back i can try putting a 2002 vin. The original tune was from a 2001 2500 silverado pickup and it had a segment swap because the original tune was a 4l80 trans and the suburban has a 4l60. If it is to complicated he can get another pcm and the guy can go from there but i dont think he will be going back as we have gotten the tune very nice, just the idle that is a bit tricky when in gear and needs work . Thanks. eric