Thread: How to tune A40 Allison properly

Default How to tune A40 Allison properly

Guys I'm new to the EFI Live game. Trying to tune an A40 Allison 6 speed TCM and its not letting me. the truck is a 2006 LLY engine with LBZ controllers and trans etc. Its shifting out of 1st into 2nd really hard and when I come to a stop it goes into 4th gear and stays in it till I shut it off. How do I do these procedures? How do I even get it back to stock? Everytime I go to full flash it gives me a "Script exited with code $054C: Operating System is not present in file". and that's it. PLEASE HELP!

Whats been done so far? Have you made any changes to the TCM yet? Most don't bother messing with the TCM as you can do some SERIOUS damage adjusting TCM parameters in a HURRY. Sounds to me like you have some internal problems as even a built trans should shift just fine on stock tuning.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, little of this, a little of that,
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, custom tuning by me, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

All I have done is CalFresh the TCM but I may have messed it up I need to find a stock tune I think to return it back to stock because I can't get my reflash from my tuner to work I can't get it to do a full flash so now it's just not shifting and running right so I think what I need to do is get a stock tune and return it to stock

All I have done is CalFlash the TCM but I may have messed it up I need to find a stock tune I think to return it back to stock because I can't get my reflash from my tuner to work I can't get it to do a full flash so now it's just not shifting and running right so I think what I need to do is get a stock tune and return it to stock

So you changed parameters in the TCM already? If so, what has been changed? If you alter shift timing, you can DESTROY an ALLISON in just a couple of shifts if you go to far with it.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, little of this, a little of that,
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, custom tuning by me, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

Quote Originally Posted by THEFERMANATOR View Post
    So you changed parameters in the TCM already? If so, what has been changed? If you alter shift timing, you can DESTROY an ALLISON in just a couple of shifts if you go to far with it.
    I recieved a tune from my tuner for the transmission, i went to load it up and it kept telling me no operating system in the tune. I tried many many things and eventually just decided to take it to the dealer have them reflash a stock tune on it because im pretty sure i messed something up. I was never able to complete a complete full flash. I need to learn how these are done. We have a V2 and im new to these

No full flash of the A40 is possible with EFI Live
    www.mscservices.net

Tuner of many, many Duramax and Cummins Diesels.

2011 Chevy HD3500 Duramax/Allsion, EFILive AutoCal Yuner by Kory Willis, Exhaust Mod, DPF & DEF delete, disconnect EGR
    EFILived Jan/2015. 3 days ago couldn't get it going, high gear start, no gear indicator on dash, engine, ABS & parking brake lights on dash. I think it is a TCM based on what I read. I ordered a new TCM and plan to install myself. Can I then flash it with my EFILive? Do I have to take it to a dealer? Will the dealer's tuner throw a bunch of codes due to mods? I'm stuck in NJ - from AZ can someone shoot me an answer how to get up running again? Thanks so much.

Lifetime Member

Hate to say it, you'll need to contact Kory as he's the one who built and knows this calibration. I'd start with that, and you'll definitely get limp mode with a DPF/DEF delete running a stock tune.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.