Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 99 S10 with 4 banger

Default 99 S10 with 4 banger

Can you do anything to a 1999 4 cylinder S10? I have a customer that wants me just some simple things, like disable the rear o2's in his s10. The guy is an hour drive away, so I didn't want him to drive a hour one way only to have me not be able to do anything to the truck.

Quote Originally Posted by minytrker
    Can you do anything to a 1999 4 cylinder S10? I have a customer that wants me just some simple things, like disable the rear o2's in his s10. The guy is an hour drive away, so I didn't want him to drive a hour one way only to have me not be able to do anything to the truck.
    I've got an '00 2.2 4cyl Xtreme (soon to get a new motor, and the reason I hang out here).

If you want to run no cat heres a few suggestions......Get an O2 sim from Caspers Electronics. I've had one that I re-wired from an LS1 F-body to fit the S10 plug. Working like a champ for over two years now....DO NOT just hollow the cat out. I promise it will be the worst sound you have EVER heard on deceleration. This terrible terrible pinging/tinney rattly sound.....it's amazingly bad. I hear straight pipe in place of the cat is better sounding, but I question the performance gains.

Of all the mods I have had there are a few to run away from. The MSD ignition box's are useless. Don't waste your money. I had a Greddy Emanage installed for awhile. Unless you have a seriously changed motor, and need the ability to compensate for ALOT more air moving, it too it worthless (although fun to goof around with). the TPS-TEC from Caspers is a waste of money as well, it's a patch for a bad TPS sensor, and will cause nothing but problems....This comes from several 4cyl S10 guys.

The biggest gains I have seen have been in removing rotating mass from the truck. Underdrive pullies are available from www.truckperformance.com (I think they are ASP's). Then an electric fan. Those are two SIMPLE mods that will have him enjoying the truck ALOT more for very little cost. I'll be swapping in an aluminum driveshaft from an extended cab 4wd truck this weekend in an effort to drop another 10lbs or so from the rotating parts.

Hope that helps a little.

Have you tried to use efi on it?

Haven't tried, but I'd bet you a dollar to a donut that it doesn't work.....Despite being the same ECM (outside shape/size/material/color) as the V6, I've been told several times that it won't

I can post the VIN if you want to have someone check it for you though, and if it did work, then I'd be in a double fast hurry to purchase the software.

send me your vin if you dont mind

1GCCS1445Y8104118

Thanks, I don't think it will work. It would even bring up the table for me to look it up. I tried my vin and it looked it up, so Im pretty sure it wont work on the 4 bangers.

Yea I'm 99% sure it won't either....Oh well :(

The scanner would work fine, but programming, no.
    I can say that we will certainly do them in the future as the actual tables etc are the same as the In-Line 6 LL8 we just added support for, actually, I've already done bootloaders for all the 4cyl PCM's.
    A release time frame would be many months off though.

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX
    The scanner would work fine, but programming, no.
    I can say that we will certainly do them in the future as the actual tables etc are the same as the In-Line 6 LL8 we just added support for, actually, I've already done bootloaders for all the 4cyl PCM's.
    A release time frame would be many months off though.

Cheers,
    Ross
    How man many months???? Are we talking like 6 months, or like 12 months?!?!?

My thinking here is that I really enjoy the balance on my truck, and would LOVE to keep the 4cyl, however until there is a custom OS for one, I can't run any boost. Without boost, I don't think I will ever truly be happy with the power that it makes.

If it's within the next 12 months I might seriously consider getting EFIlive, and just hanging out and waiting on that part of the build until the support is there......*edit*...Let me rephrase that. I'm already getting EFILive, however I might consider waiting on the motor portion of that project until the support is there....*/edit*

Any thoughts?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast