Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 99 S10 with 4 banger

foff667

is there any specific reason you need a custom OS to run boost?

Quote Originally Posted by foff667
    is there any specific reason you need a custom OS to run boost?
    I suppose I could run boost on a stock OS, however the idea of running an FMU, and all that doesn't sound real appealing to me. I'm sure it will work, and I know it's been done before, just not the 100% correct way to do it IMO. The PCM needs to see boost to have good control over fuel I think.

I could get away with a stock OS, but I AT LEAST need the ability to edit the stock PCM before I would consider it.

foff667

with properly sized injectors you should be ok without an fmu.

Quote Originally Posted by foff667
    with properly sized injectors you should be ok without an fmu.
    You can't just add injectors without changing the tune though.

foff667

correct, but you make it sound as if a custom tune is necessary to tune boost when in reality its very rarely a necessity.

Perhaps to everyone it's not necessary. However I personally would prefer it, as I feel that is the correct way to set it up.

In order of ways I would setup a boosted application from worst to best

1. FMU only
    2. FMU and Piggyback
    3. Piggyback only
    4. FMU and PCM cal
    5. PCM cal with custom OS

If there is support for the PCM, then I would think that the PCM could run a custom OS, and if I'm going through the hassle of converting an NA motor to a boosted motor, there is NO reason to not spend the $150 more for the commercial version, and upgrade to an OS that can read and compensate for boost. Seems like you'de be flying to the moon, and then once you got all that way, you wouldn't set foot on the surface.

I'm not sure what method foff667 is referring to but, you can run a 2bar map without O.S mods, you just effectively halve your map values.......back years ago like 2000/2001 this is what we did on the LS1 before we had written specific 2 or 3 bar O.S's. It might not be idea but I certainly gets the job done. In fact, I know of a few LS1 shops that still use this method.
    In any case, we don't really have any plans for custom O.S upgrades to the 4cyl code like what we have done for the LS1 and Duramax.

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX
    I'm not sure what method foff667 is referring to but, you can run a 2bar map without O.S mods, you just effectively halve your map values.......back years ago like 2000/2001 this is what we did on the LS1 before we had written specific 2 or 3 bar O.S's. It might not be idea but I certainly gets the job done. In fact, I know of a few LS1 shops that still use this method.
    In any case, we don't really have any plans for custom O.S upgrades to the 4cyl code like what we have done for the LS1 and Duramax.

Cheers,
    Ross
    I suppose that will work just the same, just seems like ALOT of room for error to go through and 1/2 all of those values. I'm sure I'd miss something somewhere....Oh well no big deal.

Is there any definitive timeline for the 4cyl support? 6months? 12months? 18months?

And since I'm typing away, thanks for the responses and info....I'm constantly amazed at the support for this product.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12