Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: E38 VATS Non-start

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    P0650 is a bit concerning, the ECM is trying to turn on the SES/MIL and either cant or it's on all the time...

Lost comms with the BCM (not surprising) and lost comms with the EBCM (again not surprising).

As Ross said, if VATS is still active it wont ever start, since it is then VATS are ok.

Where is the ECM from? If it's not a brand new unit, was it flashed with an incompatible OS than what was originally flashed? (This isnt likely as the service # and OS # match.)

With all the truck stuff installed, does it behave the same way as before? Starts, revs to 1500, back down, any pedal kills it? Have you verified the pedal wiring is correct for the truck pedal?
    Everything was pieced together which I'm sure is making things more complicated. When I pulled the tune out it was an 07 Avalanche 1500 tune. I'm not really sure if someone put that in there or it is the untouched factory calibration. Any way to check that? One thought I had is that the ECM and TCM were purchased with the harness (from PSI), and maybe they patched with HPTuners. Then I patched with EFILive, and maybe that is causing the issues I'm experiencing.

The truck hardware makes everything worse. The TB does not open all the way, and when it does, it closes shut as if going into reduced power mode. Also, the truck 87mm TB does not clear the hood, and the pedal is far from ideal to work with,

So at this point, I'm looking to start over. Have ECM flashed with a Tech 2 to a Corvette tune with an OS of 12617631, the computer service number should support that. It will also ensure the correct TAC module in the ECM is correct for the OS and hardware. Will that eliminate the patch if done by HPTuners? Going to change to the silver blade TB and Corvette pedal. I know the Corvette only came with T43 and 6 speed auto, but it appears that the ECM OS can be used with a truck TCM OS with the T42.

In the process of verifying the TB wiring, but with key on engine off, the silver blade TB appears to operate properly.
    00 Silverado Z71, LQ9 w/ LS3 heads, BTR cam, Whipple 2.9@8#, 4l80E

Lifetime Member

Unfortunately I dont know of an easy way, if you're familiar with the underlying hex code structure I'm sure you could know pretty quickly (I'm not).

Sorry to hear about the truck tb and pedal, it sounds like the plan to move to all car stuff makes sense now. I think you're right, time to flash the ECM with a known-factory calibration and will wipe out everything on the ECM. I dont know enough about the difference between T43 and T42 comms to know how that will work.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Lifetime Member

Good news, the engine runs!! Lol.

I switched to an 08 Silverado tune, applied VATS patch, disabled starter relay, and started on first crank. This was a last ditch effort. I'm on my phone or I would post the OS and tune I used.

This was a last ditch effort, I did log VATS, throttle mismatch PID, and coil and injector status. With the old tune, all looked fine. Coils and injectors were turning on and off with no faults. Nothing appeared out of the ordinary.

Here is the interesting thing... Using a 2010 Camaro pedal, LS silver blade TB, and truck OS. The truck pedal and TB were not cooperating even after changing the two pins in pedal assembly. TB would flicker and go into reduced power mode.

I'm just wondering if the issue all along was VATS related since the only thing that changed was tune. I did the same thing to both tunes, so kind of at a lost there.

Quote Originally Posted by LastCall View Post
    Good news, the engine runs!! Lol.

I switched to an 08 Silverado tune, applied VATS patch, disabled starter relay, and started on first crank. This was a last ditch effort. I'm on my phone or I would post the OS and tune I used.

Good news

Can you summarize here which components you have working together.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    Good news

Can you summarize here which components you have working together.
    I don't want to create too many duplicate posts, but here are the tunes I used.

Specs on set up:

E38 ECM
    08 Silverado OS - 12617631

T42 TCM (posted the correct tune 9-26-16@ 6:25 am PDT)
    08 Silverad0 Trans OS - 24239927

Silver blade TB
    2010 Camaro Pedal (APP)

One big note, the engine will not rev past 5500 rpm in gear. Logs attached.
    Last edited by LastCall; September 26th, 2016 at 01:25 AM.

LastCall,

thanks for posting back

Lifetime Member

Rev limit had been fixed, it was the rev limit in park/neutral since there was no range switch on the floor shifter.

Thanks.

Glad you got it going

So when you installed the hardware, it affected other truck parts, right? Need to take note of that in case I needed to do that to the engine. Anyway, good to know it's running. Any new progress?
    Last edited by joecar; May 16th, 2018 at 02:20 AM. Reason: removed spam/ad url

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123