Thread: Where do I start?................

Default Where do I start?................

Hi Guys,

I just got my EfiLive and tried the scanner yesterday. It's REALLY cool with everything that it scans, but as far as using the tuning part, where do I start? How do I backup my stock tune and where should I start as far as a tune goes?

Do you guys tinker with fuel first, or idle, or timing? I apologize for some of the VERY NEWBIE questions, but I'm pretty nervous and don't want to screw things up.

Thanks So Much in advance for your help!

I get the feeling I'm going to be here ALOT!

Hi there Freddy and welcome.

Best place to start is to start reading the Scan Tool manual pdf, and to connect the cable to you car and run the Scan Tool; try out the various features that you read, get comfortable with the Scan Tool; drive and log and look at the log charts, create maps, etc. It seems you already did some of this, good work.

Read the Tune Tool manual pdf and use the Tune Tool to read your PCM into a file (and then make backup copies of this file to CD/DVD or elsewhere); then browse the various tables and read each's description.

Read the tutorials: http://store.efilive.com/download.aspx#downloads7

Search, read, ponder the various topics at www.ls1tech.com and other forums.

Ask questions when something is not clear, better safe than sorry.

Be prepared to spend alot of time with your car, you're in for some fun stuff...

Regards
    Joe

The first thing I'd advise you to do, is to download the stock data from the PCM and store it with a file name that you'll easily recognize. That way, you can always revert to the stock calibration if necessary. Then make a couple of small changes-- bump the idle speed a 100 rpm or so, or adjust fan turn on temperature-- something quick and easy and not potentially harmful, just to get a feel for the process and build some confidence. Save the file with these changes under a new name, reflash the PCM and do some data logging-- again, just to get a feel for things. Once you take those steps, you can start making meaningful changes. If you click on the icon of the floppy disc with a star, FlashScan will save the file under a new name and it will automatically increment the number each time you save another file. I advise using this method as that allows you to always revert to the previous file if necessary. And by the way, you have chosen what is in my opinion, absolutely the best scanning/tuning software available. As if that isn't enough, the members of this forum are unbelievably helpful. Just take your time learning the software, ask for help when you need it and things will go smoothly.
    DigitalEFI- EFILive US Distributor
    sales@digitalefi.com
    678/344-1590

Thank You So Much Guys, and Thanks Joecar for the Welcome!

I was pretty confused as to which programming software to get because it seems like there are quite a few guys on LS1Tech that use HP Tuners.

The thing that mostly sold me was that you had your software available to download and get the feel for before buying, and I heard the customer service was good. I used the scanning software yesterday for the first time and it's VERY Neat as to what it can do ( and I'm betting that I didn't even touch the service as to what it's capable of, but looking VERY forward to finding out).

I also see that there are quite a few Very knowledgeable tuners that have made the switch from HP to EfiLive and that also says alot to me.

All in all, I think that I made the right decision! Now it's time to buckle down and learn to use it correctly. I truly do Appreciate the help!

Thanks again and Have a GREAT Day!