Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Used AutoCal ..newbie.

Quote Originally Posted by cindy@efilive View Post
    You can't dissociate a VIN from an AutoCal - EFILive and AutoCal was never designed to allow that. It's designed to allow multiple vehicles to be tuned at the same time. Because of that 'returning to stock' does not free up the VIN license (actually the software doesn't differentiate between a stock or modified tune anyway). Each controller needs to be licensed.

That's something you and your tuner need to discuss - I don't know what you bought, or what your tuner sent you. This is a discussion you really need to have with your tuner given you've purchased his handheld device, not an EFILive tuning product. Your tuner can/has/will customize the AutoCal to suit his business/your needs, and given the number of different configurable options, he needs to provide you with support.

If he did send you a license, you'll have an activation code and instructions similar to this

EFILive Order Number: 123123
    EFILive AutoCal Serial Number: 005000012312
    Activation Code: 01230ABC
    Number of VIN Licenses Purchased: 1
    Total License Number: 2

To update your AutoCal cable with the new activation code:
    1. Connect your AutoCal cable to your PC or laptop.
    2. Start the EFILive V8 Scan and Tune application.
    3. Click the [F7: Licenses] button in the left-hand pane.
    4. Click the [F3: VINs] button in the left-hand pane.
    5. Enter the 02513C6B (Activation Code) in the Activation Code: field.
    6. Enter 2 (Total License Number) in the License Number: field.
    7. Click the [Activate VIN License] button.

It's apparent you purchased something second hand without really understanding the capabilities and requirements of actually using it. In many cases if a tuner applies tune file security, requiring you to buy new tunes plus the cost of a VIN license the second hand AutoCal needs to be really cheap to prevent the total cost being in excess of a new unit. It's really a case of buyer beware - the only cost EFILive controls is the VIN license cost - the second hand price of the AutoCal and the value the tuner places on his work is not something we control.

Cheers
    Cindy
    I get more phone calls about used autocal's than I can count. Almost everyone are exactly the same, "I bought this used efi live and want to get a tune on it, how much is it". 99% of the time they dont know where it came from or who did the tune or anything about an autocal. Then they argue with you when you explain what the autocal is and how it works.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by minytrker View Post
    I get more phone calls about used autocal's than I can count. Almost everyone are exactly the same, "I bought this used efi live and want to get a tune on it, how much is it". 99% of the time they dont know where it came from or who did the tune or anything about an autocal. Then they argue with you when you explain what the autocal is and how it works.
    I'm not sure what we can do to help with that, but if you have any ideas we are willing to listen.

The problem as I see it is AutoCal is unique and users just expect it to work like every other handheld in the market - which it doesn't. The problem is people buy first and investigate later.....

Cheers
    Cindy

Why was the AutoCal sold by its original owner (i.e. the tuner's client)...?

( do they suddenly not want tune support any more ..? )

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    Why was the AutoCal sold by its original owner (i.e. the tuner's client)...?

( do they suddenly not want tune support any more ..? )

Sorry for all the trouble of this thread. The original owner sold his car..he was selling all his performance parts. He has
    no need of the AutoCal, Tune or Tuner.
    Since I wanted to use the same tuner I thought I could save some money. I will see what the tuner says..worst
    case I have to cough up more money for a VIN license as well as the tune thereby negating the savings.

I learned a lot about the AutoCal licensing in this thread. I'm glad it has some functional value beyond the original VIN.
    Also it seems if you use the AutoCal for 8 VINs and you get 9th car you have to throw it in the garbage and buy a new one.

I have other questions about the AutoCal that I'll have to figure out myself or I'll post another thread.

Thanks a bunch.

Lifetime Member

I might look at putting a second hand AutoCal FAQ together. Hopefully people purchasing second hand may search before purchase.

AutoCal is limited to 8 VINs. Most people use AutoCal for a single vehicle, over 90% never have a second VIN purchased. If you think you need more than a couple of VINs (I'd say 3-4) then you should really be looking at FlashScan. Even if you're not going to write your own tunes, FlashScan will give you the freedom to use tunes from multiple sources and it has 221 VIN capacity.

Cheers
    Cindy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by cindy@efilive View Post
    I'm not sure what we can do to help with that, but if you have any ideas we are willing to listen.

The problem as I see it is AutoCal is unique and users just expect it to work like every other handheld in the market - which it doesn't. The problem is people buy first and investigate later.....

Cheers
    Cindy

100% of the auto cal calls I receive regarding used ones are people with diesels. Most of them have no idea what the autocal is or how it works, alot of them assume the autocal is like a regular handheld and they just pick from canned tunes and go. We tune diesels but most of our business is gas tuning, but most of our tech calls for efi live are from diesel guys. I dont know why there is so much confusion with efi live in the diesel world vs the gas world.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12