Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Controller Authorization

Tony I expect it will get the newer T87A too, it has been rolled out over every other 2017 model and the Duramax is probably the one GM would be most concerned about.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Well that sucks...... :(.
    www.mscservices.net

Tuner of many, many Duramax and Cummins Diesels.

We knew this day would come at some point though and I don't see it getting better, worse if anything.
    VW cheating emissions, people driving Jeeps in to a ditch using a phone...now that is a wake up call for any vehicle manufacturer to increase security.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

This is about government not manufacturer security. There are too many tree hugging liberals here is the USA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard to know because the European cars have been like this for many years, most of those the ECM needs to be pulled apart to tune.

I would almost bet anything that we alter or customize our vehicles here more than anywhere. There is such a trend with the liberals here to save the world and anything that becomes part if their agenda seems to become too drive how people are suppose to live here. No way I can believe it all on GM for the changes. Regulation everywhere here! Hopefully it will change for the better in the upcoming years.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    It can't be read, programming has a very nasty digital signature system in place. They've gone away from the traditional programming methods to something more like what Bosch do.

You will still be able to flash two controllers with the one VIN license, no change there. But the auth-code is an additional cost to the licenses, however as I mentioned above the T87A cannot be programmed at this stage so it isn't like you will need two Auth-Codes per vehicle.
    Crap. Simply crap. With the digital signature, is it almost impossible to have a modified file flashed back in because the checksums/hashes wont match so the TCM will simply not accept the flash? I imagine the processing power required to actually generate new signatures that work with the factory one would be difficult.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

We knew this day would come at some point though and I don't see it getting better, worse if anything.
    VW cheating emissions, people driving Jeeps in to a ditch using a phone...now that is a wake up call for any vehicle manufacturer to increase security.
    Sad, but true!
    Hard to know because the European cars have been like this for many years, most of those the ECM needs to be pulled apart to tune.
    Hmm
    Quote Originally Posted by S Phinney View Post
    I would almost bet anything that we alter or customize our vehicles here more than anywhere. There is such a trend with the liberals here to save the world and anything that becomes part if their agenda seems to become too drive how people are suppose to live here. No way I can believe it all on GM for the changes. Regulation everywhere here! Hopefully it will change for the better in the upcoming years.

There are some pretty bad-ass vehicles in Australia and New Zealand. They may have us beat.
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    Crap. Simply crap. With the digital signature, is it almost impossible to have a modified file flashed back in because the checksums/hashes wont match so the TCM will simply not accept the flash? I imagine the processing power required to actually generate new signatures that work with the factory one would be difficult.
    Correct and because it is not something that is checked when the trans is in normal running mode (only when being flashed) they can make it as complex as they want because if it takes 30 seconds to verify the digital signature so what.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy366 View Post
    Sad, but true!
    And this came in to my head...

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy366 View Post
    There are some pretty bad-ass vehicles in Australia and New Zealand. They may have us beat.
    There used to be, in a years time our GM vehicles will only be Korean or Opel's. Probably great cars but not the RWD V8's Aussies tend to love.

Cheers,
    Ross

So I'm confused here and know absolutely nothing about the actual flashing of the vehicle.

How are people getting the keys if it's such a tight encryption? I have no idea what format it uses, but it can't be anything serious if people are getting them in the span of a day. Or is it more complicated than that?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast