Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anything look suspect or dangerous in this tune?

Default Anything look suspect or dangerous in this tune?

Hi, been on here for a few years now to read and learn. First post.

Recently had some engine damage @ the track. Still tearing the engine down to see exactly what happened and what needs fixed, but the leading theory right now is bad knock which led to other bad things happening.

I have had zero issues with the engine, tune, knock etc. running on the track before. Over the winter/spring the only thing I did was- new valvesprings (single beehive to BTR duals), new NGK TR6 spark plugs (had TR55 before) and got a retune on the dyno. I have a FlashScan V2, but this tune was done on the dyno with a shop.

Overall mods I have a 2003 Corvette C5 Z06 w/ mild 226/230 .604/.604 113 EPS cam, AI ported 243 heads (stock valves), headers/xpipe.

Anyone see any red flags in the tune? I see some stuff that I think may be suspect, but I want to hear the real experts' thoughts. I have also included a stock tune file in the zip file for easy comparison/see what has been changed vs going thru table by table. They are EFIlive tune files.

Thanks guys.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by aaronc7; September 29th, 2016 at 02:25 AM.

I'll take a look later tonite.

What damage did your engine suffer...?

I have not pulled the heads off yet, I think that will tell the whole story. Will be having that done soon.

In the meantime the facts are
    -tapping noise at idle, sounds like top end. goes away if engine rpm increased above 1500 rpm
    -nothing obviously wrong with valve springs, valve tips, rocker arms, pushrods (pulled valvecovers off)
    -cylinder 7 spark plug bent 'back' a few mm
    -cylinder 7 leakdown 14psi when pressurized to 75psi. seems to be leaking into cooling system and crankcase (but not hugely more than other cylinders).
    -oil has slightly murky appearance, more evidence of water getting into oil.

my leading theory right now for root cause is the tune, but really won't know more until I get the heads off.

Thanks for the help!

sounds like a head gasket???

Yes I think head gasket would be best case scenario, assuming nothing else major. Worst case cracked piston or cylinder wall. Need to ID the source of the tapping as well. Hopefully only a lifter or something.

#7 sounds worse than just head gasket.

I looked over your tune, it seems ok, VE is a bit bumpy.

Thank you sir, I appreciate the feedback. Yes I think the tuner was just lazy with regards to the VE. My main concern was some of the knock tables-- tables like Knock fast attack rate values were halved and knock limit in/out PE mode table significantly reduced compared to stock values.

I'll look closer at the differences from stock in your tune.

When you say track are you talking circuit or strip?

If you have spark plug damage, something has broken off and hit it. water alone wont do that.

I'm thinking piston to valve clearance has changed with the new springs? Was clearance or preload checked with the new springs fitted just in case?

Also curious to know was the dyno a load bearing / eddy current style one or inertia?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast