Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Questions about WideBand 02 Sensors

Mostly it's because I don't want my customer to drive away with my wideband.

I used to leave my LC-1 on my TA until it was time for smog test (at which time I would swap the headers out).

Do you weld 02 sensor bungs in all the cars you tune or tell your customers to do it themselves or get it done elsewhere? Weird.. I don't ever remember seeing a tuner/mechanic weld WB sensor bungs into headers before tuning a car.

How about DIY/backyard tuners? Why do you remove your widebands? How many failed on you and what were they? Anyone else here?

And Joe, I'm curious.. what's with the Aussie flag? Are you an Aussie who moved to the U.S.?
    Btw, I got 2 more used widebands today out of a VZ Commo. '05 or '06, forgot to check. I also worked on a 2006 Honda Accord today with a VTEC in it and noticed it didn't have any WB's. You'd think a VTEC Honda would have a more sophisticated/accurate engine management system than a V6 Commodore. I've always said Commodores were way-under-rated..

Oh ffs. I just wiped down and checked the VZ 5-wire WB's I got today and they're 4.2's. Maybe I can combine them to make a new 8.4 LSU 02. Yes.

I just use their existing NBO2 bung... I use widebands that also have NBO2 output ability, I usually switch between CL and non-CL during my tuning.

Yes, I was born/raised in the suburbs of Sydney... then 25 years ago I "temporarily" moved to Los Angeles, lol...

Yes, Commodores are underrated... non-car guys over here have no idea what they're looking at when they see a 2005/6 Pontiac GTO LS2.

Thanks Joe. Lucky you. I've always wanted to move to L.A. too.. but seems impossible to do unless you're rich and retired or find an American woman to marry. Wanna move to the Gold Coast now asap.

Oh yeah that's right.. temporarily use an existing NB bung.
    At this stage I'm thinking of getting my car tuned by a tuner/shop :/
    Would there be any advantage if I removed my 2 NB's and fitted 2 WB's in their place? Or would it just be a waste of time and money (making the wiring suit the 6 pin plugs, buying a wideband controller...)???

I just hate thinking that I have 2 shitty NB 02 sensors in my car and 2+ superior WB ones sitting in my bedroom sampling dust instead of my A/F ratio.

It's complicated... but I'd rather be on the Gold Coast at the moment.

If the ECM comes with NBO2's then it won't be able to run WBO2's.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smith View Post
    At this stage I'm thinking of getting my car tuned by a tuner/shop :/
    Would there be any advantage if I removed my 2 NB's and fitted 2 WB's in their place?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smith View Post
    I just hate thinking that I have 2 shitty NB 02 sensors in my car and 2+ superior WB ones sitting in my bedroom sampling dust instead of my A/F ratio.
    If you intend on running the engine in closed loop, then those shitty NB 02 sensors will do a perfectly good job keeping your fueling at stoich.... probably even better than WB sensors.

[QUOTE=Mr. Smith;233138]Thanks guys.
    The real reason why I (REALLY) want to use Bosch wb's is because I can get used ones for free (which I just realised last night) and actually found x4 Bosch 17123 (short lead) sensors today at my work (though the wires/plugs have been cut off on 2 of them.. spewing).

Sorry to bring this up from the dead. Just bored looking through old posts. I just wanted to point out that soldering, crimping a WB02 sensor wire(s)s is a recipe for disaster IMHO. A typical WB02 measures 0-5vdc. Mating two dissimilar metals will make a thermocouple effect exhibiting a voltage offset providing inaccurate readings. Your tuning efforts will only be as good as your experience using repeatable, low uncertainty, high quality equipment.

2000 Silverado Full Size 4x4: Forged 6.2, H/C F1R Procharger
    98A4 Z28: 02 PCM H/C Forged 347, 9" Moser 3.73
    V1 V2 99+up RR COS #5 OLSD Dual Stg N20
    www.efialchemy.com
    www.greatamericancarwar.com

I wouldn't worry, too much, about the Seebeck effect, in this application. Plus, you will have the law of intermediate metals on your side

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345