Thread: VATS help!

Default VATS help!

Hey guys,

New to the forum but not so new to efilive or the duramax engine series. Hopefully someone can help.

So long story short I bought a 2008 C4500 with a blown motor. Just got around to putting the new motor in and finishing everything up. When I bought the truck at auction they did not have the original keys from GM but they had a copy which has no transponder. I believe since this truck is 08 that is should have a transponder key setup to talk to the BCM.

I already went to the dealer and had two new keys cut. Can I program these new keys to the same resistance as BCM with my V2? The dealer says I need a tech II but the truck is not registered and does not drive obviously to get it to the dealer.

I thought about pulling the tune and just turning off VATS. When I pull the tune nothing shows up for parameters. It just shows the main page with vin/cal/os and the side panel on left has no tabs to expand.

Also the truck cranks but I have no gauges and no radio. Only the check engine light and battery light come on along with the time on the radio and current mileage....no security light.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmaxxrus View Post
    Hey guys,

New to the forum but not so new to efilive or the duramax engine series. Hopefully someone can help.

So long story short I bought a 2008 C4500 with a blown motor. Just got around to putting the new motor in and finishing everything up. When I bought the truck at auction they did not have the original keys from GM but they had a copy which has no transponder. I believe since this truck is 08 that is should have a transponder key setup to talk to the BCM.

I already went to the dealer and had two new keys cut. Can I program these new keys to the same resistance as BCM with my V2? The dealer says I need a tech II but the truck is not registered and does not drive obviously to get it to the dealer.

I thought about pulling the tune and just turning off VATS. When I pull the tune nothing shows up for parameters. It just shows the main page with vin/cal/os and the side panel on left has no tabs to expand.

Also the truck cranks but I have no gauges and no radio. Only the check engine light and battery light come on along with the time on the radio and current mileage....no security light.
    Kodiaks do not have any anti-theft system whatsoever...you have something else wrong if it doesnt run.
    2005 Silverado, CC/SB, 4x4, LT, LILLY/Allison
    12.9s @ 108 mph

many thanks to Ross and Paul

Interesting...

I wonder why they GM factory key had a transponder then? Just to communicate with the BCM? Any other reason why I'd have a crank but no fire condition?

Interesting...

I wonder why they GM factory key had a transponder then? Just to communicate with the BCM? Any other reason why I'd have a crank but no fire condition?

#1. There's no transponder or "chip" in a Kodiak key

#2. There is no BCM in a Kodiak.
    2005 Silverado, CC/SB, 4x4, LT, LILLY/Allison
    12.9s @ 108 mph

many thanks to Ross and Paul

Any other reason why I'd have a crank but no fire condition?
    Lots!

Not enough crank RPM, not enough rail pressure(can be caused by loss of fuel prime, bad cp3, ect..), bad wiring, low battery voltage.... just to name a few off the top of my head. VATS obviously isn't the problem.
    Josh

'04 GMC LLY
    - L5P, Motech, 6-Spd Conv. ML Trans.
    '05 GMC LLY - 250%, 12mm, 67mm Custom Turbo, 6-Spd Conv. ML Trans
    '19 3500 RAM - Tuned Aisin 0_o

Start by the codes you have. Secondly connect and monitor rail pressure as you try to start the engine. See what's going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Little update for you guys!

I had a few issues all relating to fuel. Stock filter housing was junk so i ripped it off and ran the airdog straight to the rail. Also had a leaking return line and #4 injector wasnt seated properly on the copper washer. Got all those fixed and she fired up after about three shots of cranking over.

Watching the gauges and my scan tool and suddenly realized i had trans oil in my overflow tank! -- DOH! Shut her down and will have to get this fixed before going and further.

Thanks for stating the obvious Ben! My dealer told me it was a chip key and i needed to bring it down...and i totally believed them being its an 08.

Also once the truck fired, i had all of my gauges working and fully functioning radio. Once i turned off the engine and brought key back to run i had nothing again. Almost like the alternator is feeding that fuse panel. Will dig into this another time. At least i know they work...

Many new vehicles use systems that don't turn on until they sense bus activity. It may be those circuits are not meant to come on until it senses an RPM signal on the data bus so they don't run the battery down when the engines not running.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, little of this, a little of that,
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, custom tuning by me, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.