Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Set Units to USA

Lifetime Member

Default Set Units to USA

I don't know if this is an E98 specific or overall efilive... How does one set the units to USA in BBX scanning? The PIDs show only in metric and all my settings everywhere show custom... Am i missing something?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Default BBX units are Metric.

For the pids you want in SAE/Imperial/US units, you have to create Custom Pid Properties...

you will most likely find the units you want under the Quick Select;

see attached pic for example (shows IAT, Quick Select is set to degrees F, the factor/offset are already preset for this).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161031@123655~PID Properties.png 
Views:	238 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	20401

After you edit the Custom Pid Properties for all the pids you want to see in SAE/Imperial/US units, click Save at the bottom, and then Program it to your V2.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    Default BBX units are Metric.

For the pids you want in SAE/Imperial/US units, you have to create Custom Pid Properties...

you will most likely find the units you want under the Quick Select;

see attached pic for example (shows IAT, Quick Select is set to degrees F, the factor/offset are already preset for this).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161031@123655~PID Properties.png 
Views:	238 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	20401

After you edit the Custom Pid Properties for all the pids you want to see in SAE/Imperial/US units, click Save at the bottom, and then Program it to your V2.
    I though that might be what was required... Is there not a master setting? For example... On my v2 it has a setting for displayed units being "metric" or "custom" and also in my software options as well, I have it all setup to custom... How come with all the relevant places to change those options, I still have to go to each PID and manually set it to display in US units? I guess the better question would be how to change the default to US units so I don't have to change each one manually... Is that what those settings are for I'm the first place? Or is bbx scanning something totally different? If so, what do those other display units settings do?

Last edited by hacklerjason; October 31st, 2016 at 08:04 AM.

There is no master setting that I can see.

OBD-II is all defined in Metric, along with all the mechanical aspects of your vehicle

( yes here in the USA vehicles have been metric since the late 1980's, look at any factory service manual )

How many pids are you logging, and how many of them can have Metric/Imperial units...?

Lifetime Member

How many pids are you logging, and how many of them can have Metric/Imperial units...?
    I am actually very early in my monitoring stages... I am just figuring stuff out at the moment... I was looking through the list of PIDs last night and noticed they show metric for pressures and temps... And I couldn't figure out am easy way to change them all to USA... I thought that's what these settings were for (see photo)

Quote Originally Posted by hacklerjason View Post
    I am actually very early in my monitoring stages... I am just figuring stuff out at the moment... I was looking through the list of PIDs last night and noticed they show metric for pressures and temps... And I couldn't figure out am easy way to change them all to USA... I thought that's what these settings were for (see photo)

To change those, you highlight the row and click either the Metric/Euro button or the Custom/USA button.

But, I don't think those work on BBL pids, I'm not sure, I'll have to try it.

Lifetime Member

To change those, you highlight the row and click either the Metric/Euro button or the Custom/USA button.

But, I don't think those work on BBL pids, I'm not sure, I'll have to try it.
    What I meant was that if you look, you'll see that I did that already and they didn't work for bbx pid units... Can we tag upper admin in here for support? @gmpx

Yeah, I don't think that was supposed to work like that.

BBL has its own config file that is written to V2 regardless of what's going on in V8.

Blacky is actually the software developer.

Some of us use mixed units (kPa for MAP, psi for trans line pressure, g/s, g/cyl, mph, F).

How many pids are you logging via BBL, and how many of them can have Metric/Imperial units...?

Lifetime Member

Yeah, I don't think that was supposed to work like that.

BBL has its own config file that is written to V2 regardless of what's going on in V8.

Blacky is actually the software developer.

Some of us use mixed units (kPa for MAP, psi for trans line pressure, g/s, g/cyl, mph, F).

How many pids are you logging via BBL, and how many of them can have Metric/Imperial units...?
    I thought i answered that question but apparently not in enough detail, so I will explain further... Currently I'm logging 0 PIDs... I'm figuring out how I would like it to capture my logs. I would like it displayed in US units, regardless of the ecms being programmed in metric units. In the heavy equipment industry, both units are alive and well, and by preference I would like USA measurements. A perfect example... On John Deere excavators, the units are US, on Hitachi excavators the units are metric. But regardless of the two brands, under the brand color scheme, they're the same machine. John Deere excavators are Hitachi, in yellow and grey paint. John Deere's ServiceAdvisor software can be configured to either, Hitachi's MPDr measures in metric but cannot be changed from that.

I come from piggybacks, and this is the first time Ive had this kind of access into an ecm. Usually i can only view things but not write anything. For it to work, i imagine that i would want enough data to be able to make references to the tables that would change those values, but no more. In my experience the more you load up, the lower the refresh or poll rate is for each.

The PIDs I will eventually be monitoring are rail pressure desired and actual (PSI)... Boost desired and actual (PSI)... Timing (B/A-TDC)... APP (%)... Fuel Delivery (mm3)... Don't need any of the temp sensors in the exhaust, I don't have any... Don't need the egr temp sensors, my egr is not functioning... And furthermore, per Ross, the egrt1&2 sensors aren't even available to USA based e98 for monitoring... The cal definitions didn't include that but he said he would get it put in... Moot point since my egr don't work anyways... Even if it did, none of the temp sensors can be used for tuning.. The only one even remotely possible because its in the manifold already, is the wrong type of sensor. It is a thermistor and NOT a thermocouple... Also, its poorly placed between cylinders 1&2 and not just before the turbo... The remaining 5 in after the turbo are worthless for tuning and can only be used to babysit regenerations, which wont happen...

As it sits currently, i have not made power changes... I am running de-limited on stock fuel and timing... All torque management in the xmsn is all intact... But the torque limits that i could find in the tcm and ecm have been maxed out... The oem fuel tables are written beyond the torque limit tables so i know there was some oomph to be had by removing them... As for right now, i dont have quantifiable gains to report, havent been on a dyno... But i know for a fact that it scoots compared to stock. I have my autometer egt gauge and probe to install before i go any further than it sits right now... So back to the topic... I have not decided how to set it all up as of yet, im only playing around with stuff so when i tell it to record my log, that i got recorded what i wanted... If i get a hiccup and then find that hiccup wasnt captured for whatever reason i have to go and reproduce the condition again to see if i can catch it. I have time to figure out how to get it setup how i like until this coming weekend when i get my egt put in..
    Last edited by hacklerjason; October 31st, 2016 at 08:18 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast