Thread: E80 - Cam Position PID Missing

Default E80 - Cam Position PID Missing

I am doing some work on an E80 and cant not find the PID to log cam phaser position. The only PIDs I am showing are variable cam phase duty cycles, relative error, pulse counter, and control circuit. Is there a way to add this PID?

I can't believe GM would change such a simple PID again if it is not available.
    It used to be you could use GM.INPHAB1, GM.EXPHAB1, but you are right they don't appear to be a PID the E80 supports. I'll check it out and see what GM have done.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

OK, I'm glad I am not losing my mind.

It looks like they changed quite a few of the PIDs actually. Even CALC.CylAir stopped working for example. ECM.WO2S11A EQ ratio and current dont seem to work. Current looks like it is directly tied to engine speed (if autoscaled they overlay exactly on top of each other?). Spark advance spent a lot of time with values ATDC, so I'm not sure I trust the data.

Definitely some odd things happening when I was logging on this car so it may be worth digging into

Thanks,
    Last edited by Giambals; November 18th, 2016 at 03:53 AM.

Spark advance shouldn't be wrong if you are using the SAE PID, GM wouldn't mess with that.
    But the cam position ones, I've confirmed they've changed and we shall get the new PID's added in for the next release.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

I wanted to give an update.

The engine running on dyno and am happy to report that VCT positions log properly with the Dec software release.

I am noticing that CALC.CYLAIR and TRQDES don't seem to work, and that MAP appears to be scaled wrong (20 kPa atmospheric, 100 kPa when boost pressure reads 190 kPa and throttle is open..). I will try a new MAP sensor tomorrow, but the engine runs fine so I believe it is just a logging issue.

Also, a little off topic but I can't figure out how to plot time on the x-axis rather than frame number. Or at least find the sample rate so I can calculate it myself?
    Last edited by Giambals; December 12th, 2016 at 11:50 AM.

In the V7 scantool, on the PIDs tab, on the pid CALC.CYLAIR, do rigthclick->More Info...

and then in the More Info yellow popup do Ctrl-A Ctrl-C, and then paste that text in a reply to this thread.

The time is shown at the bottom right of the chart display.

If you slide the cursor between 2 successive frames you will see how far apart (time wise) those frames are...

or if you move the cursor (using the arrow) from frame to frame you will see the time distance between frames.

If you're doing time calculations, the scantool supports the dx() function which calculates the rate if change over time, if that helps.

I'll log some data in V7 tomorrow, I have been using V8. Is V7 generally better to use at this point?

Here is the formula that shows up in V8. ECM.MAF and ECM.RPM both work fine.

-- CALC.CYLAIR
    return pid("MAF")*15/pid("RPM");

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ca.PNG 
Views:	192 
Size:	18.2 KB 
ID:	20548

This is the CALC.CYLAIR message in V7 (which I have not tried on the E80 yet)
    Air Mass Per Cylinder {CALC.CYLAIR}

Expression:
    Grams/cyl = {SAE.MAF.gps}*15/{SAE.RPM}
    is NOT valid because:
    Required parameter {SAE.MAF.gps}, at position 14 is not selected.

PID value cannot be determined because
    the following error would occur:
    Expression not valid: Required parameter {SAE.MAF.gps}, at position 14 is not selected.

And thank you for pointing out the timestamp on the corner of the screen - I completely missed that... The dx function will definitely be useful - I will read up on it. Is there a way to export time with the rest of the data, or will I just need to calculate that every time? I ask because I will likely end up with a few hundred steady-state log files to map out the engine and would like to automate as much of the data export process as possible...

Any ideas on the MAP sensor? My MAFSD matches MAF, so I think that indicates that the MAP is OK, it is just being logged incorrectly, right?
    Last edited by Giambals; December 12th, 2016 at 04:26 PM.