Quote Originally Posted by minytrker View Post
Most of my tuning is always a model behind, for example I tune more E38's than anything right now, then LS1 pcm's and then E92's. Since we just tune and dont build vehicles we rarely tune a bunch of the newest platform out there. I have only received 2 or 4 calls about tuning E80, E82 and E84 put together.
And that is the point that is sometimes hard to get across for us, what seems lacking for your own situation is ideal for what others are doing. I don't think for a minute the LS1 PCM is obsolete, especially in the conversion world, but from a survival situation there is no incentive for a company as small as us to dedicate time to it now. At some point all things fade away, there would still be people doing the old small block TPI engines but it isn't what it was back in their hey day.

I know some people have made alot of money with autocals but I have a very hard time selling them without a wideband hookup. I started adding the plug to them BUT then the cost almost equals someone buying hpt and most of the time thats what they do.
Yes I suppose it comes down to volumes and what the market will wear. This was also one of the reasons we changed the Autocal VIN license limit, it allows you to use the Autocal as a tune delivery device and have the customer return the Autocal if they don't want to keep it, that way you don't have to pass the hardware costs on to the customer (I am assuming a remote customer here).
Yes not having the WBO2 input on the AC's is not an ideal situation when tuning remotely, but at the time we probably pictured more the Diesel customer who was used to either buying another ECM ($600+) or sending their ECM off to a select few tuners at the time. So an Autocal at $350ea was a game changer for mail order tuners, whereas the gas guys seemed a lot more DIY or a shop.

I think you almost need to stick to one software. Its hard to flip flop between different softwares and even harder to switch between vehicle brands and differnt software. Thats one advantage hpt has I think is the layout is the same for everything making it easier to switch if you have to vs learning efi, sct, and diablo, hpt covers the same as all three.
I can appreciate that being an issue, I don't know how a lot of the Euro tuners jump between software platforms all the time.

Years ago there were alot of us with efi only, now I dont know anyone with just efi. Thats just my personal experience and opinions based on how I use efi, I know a diesel only tuner or maybe even a big shop would post something completely different.
For gas I would agree, but as I mentioned earlier we never had the vision to cover the big three US manufacturers. Unfortunately many people view that as we dropped the ball or let them down