Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Something weird happened

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gelf VXR View Post
    I ran the test and all was ok, while i was out logging yesterday it quit logging for some reason, if i tried to start a new log it beeped and ended the log.

Repeated the internal test again and it reported a ROM failed erase write error, hooked it up to the car and repeated the test and it was ok, back to the laptop and now ok, is this normal?
    It is not normal to fail that test. It indicates that the flash memory is starting to fail - or something else is interfering with the flash erase/write process.

In the EFILive error document, the error $C6 is explained as "External flash was not erased correctly". (Note: it shows up incorrectly in the V8 error search/display option as a "write error").
    When flash memory is erased all the memory bits in the flash chip are set to 1's. During the test procedure the test routine verifies that every single bit is set to 1. If it finds any bit set to 0, then it displays that error.

If the firmware attempts to write to a block of memory that has been erased incorrectly (i.e. with some bits still set to 0) then the data that gets written will most likely be corrupted. And if the data gets corrupted then that can lead to any number of other seemingly unrelated issues.

Given the other issues you've reported (especially the part about it getting hot) it may not be a faulty flash chip but some other error, possibly a power supply or ground issue that is causing the faults.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Flash chips erase by setting all bits to one's, and they program by physically writing zero's and leaving one's alone...

so as Paul said you are seeing flash memory failure.

Try something, like putting it in the fridge overnite (in a sealed ziplok), and then trying the test again in the morning.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12