Thread: Protected Mode Setting

Default Protected Mode Setting

Paul,

I have installed the December Public Release, now under the EFI-Explorer Firmware Tab my V2 shows my SN, LIC and Protected Number.

If I were to set any V2 to protected mode can it be undone and if so without me trying it what is the procedure ?

I am not quite sure how this all works except to allow another FS to link autocals but not reset the file permissions ?

Am I understanding this correctly.

Thanks
    www.mscservices.net

Tuner of many, many Duramax and Cummins Diesels.

Lifetime Member

Default Protected Mode Setting

We can issue you a code to unprotect your Protected V2.

The feature was added for tuners who only wanted their staff to link FlashScan to AutoCal and not unlock tune files, so it prevents the unlocking of files generated by the Master FlashScan or Secondary FlashScan. All other functionality remains unchanged.

One thing to watch out for, the Protected FlashScan does have a valid license and can lock tune files, those files are locked to protected licensed number which will prevent your Master and other Secondary FlashScans from unlocking those tune files.

Cheers
    Cindy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Currently they both match, the Protected and the License.

My V2's will not be leaving my desk, by I was curious as to what the protected number would alter itself too and if the Master would restore the number.

Thanks
    www.mscservices.net

Lifetime Member

Tony, below is the release details sent back in September to those people who order AutoCal directly from the EFILive store, and to Distributors to pass on to their AutoCal customers. The screen shots will provide good explanation as to what will happen with license numbers.

Cheers
    Cindy

It's been requested that we provide tuners with the option to limit the functionality of FlashScan's that share license numbers. FlashScans that share license numbers (known as Proxy FlashScan Devices) share the ability to remove security settings from tune files and to unlink AutoCal devices. Usually the sole purpose of those proxy devices is to add the Remote License field on already locked tunes and link AutoCals in an office environment. Some Tuners have asked can we help them protect their tune files by preventing their employees using a Proxy FlashScan to remove tune file security. This new feature allows you to change one or more of your proxy FlashScans so that only the Master FlashScan (that the business owner controls) can clear security and unlink AutoCals while the downgraded proxy FlashScan devices used by staff can only link AutoCals and add the Remote License field.

In addition to serial number and license number, a third number has been added - called the Protected number. The protected number is the same as the Master FlashScan for which the Protected FlashScan device can perform linking and Remote License additions.

Licensing Explanation:
    Master FlashScan has identical license and protectednumbers that are shared with zero, one or more Proxy/Protected FlashScans.
    Proxy FlashScan has identical license and protected numbers that are shared with it's Master FlashScan.
    Protected FlashScan has identical license and serial numbers that are not shared with any other device. Has a protected number that is the shared with its Master's (and its Master's Proxy's) license/protected number.

The below shows a Proxy FlashScan. The Protected mode option is available. (Note: Protected mode option is only available under this scenario - it is not visible on Master FlashScan devices, or after Protected mode is enabled).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Protected.png 
Views:	256 
Size:	317.0 KB 
ID:	20538

Once Protected is activated, the License is updated to

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Protected2.png 
Views:	277 
Size:	265.0 KB 
ID:	20539

A device can be restored from Protected back to a Proxy FlashScan by contacting EFILive and having the correct license code generated.

This feature is designed to prevent the removing of security, and it works well. But, if the FlashScan is in Protected mode, and your staff have an unlocked tune file (think of a stock file) that they then apply any security (purposefully or via the Properties -> File/Folder -> When Saving Tune Files for AutoCal settings), the tune files will be locked to the Protected FlashScan, not the Master. The Protected FlashScan is designed to only Link and assign the AutoCal Remote License using the Master FlashScan license, not change the way in which security is applied to unlocked files.

All very interesting, I was unaware of this feature.

Thanks,

So only EFI can restore the "PROTECTED" Number back to match the Master Flashscan Number.

I understand the reasoning to allow your staff to be able to "SAVE FOR AUTOCAL" and be able to populate the Master FLashscan License Number but not reset the file security permissions.

Like most people I wanted to press the button to see what it does, but wanted to know how easy it was to undo it if I did,

Thank You for the explanation !!!
    www.mscservices.net