Thread: New To Tuning!

Default New To Tuning!

I have a 2011 LML with PPEI tuning. I have always been curious on how it worked and I have always wanted to tune my own vehicles. I have several diesel trucks in my business so i would like to learn to tune them as well. The ultimate question is, where should i start? My oldest diesel i have is an LLY. I just want to start slowly and make slight horsepower gains. I plan to slowly work myself up and learn as i go. This may be a stupid question, but how do i add horsepower to these trucks? I assume through fuel output and timing. like i said, i am very new and have played with some LMM files and i learned how to disable the EGR and the DPF as well as the turbo vane positions to make them rumble or hiss at idle. Sorry in advance for the stupid questions, just bare with me!

Zack Fuller has a few EFI Live training classes each year in different parts of the country. His company Starlite Diesel also sells a book that cover the LLY and Cummins 5.9 specifically. The basics you can learn from the course or book will apply to all the GM and Cummins diesel power plants.

Take a look at this thread
    https://forum.efilive.com/showthread...2016-continued

https://www.starlitediesel.com/efilive-training/
    Last edited by Move'n Up; January 10th, 2017 at 10:38 AM.
    2006 Ram 2500 4x4, 5.9 CTD, Laramie, QC
    Fully Built 48RE, Billet Flex Plate, Triple Disc TC, 62/65 HE351cw
    2017 Corvette 3LZ Z06 M7 with Z07 Package

Thanks for the help! I have read a few threads on here about that book. Looks like I'll have to order it and get the basics down. Thanks again.

Your welcome.

The book is a good start for a beginner and literally walks you step by step with writing a basic tune.
    2006 Ram 2500 4x4, 5.9 CTD, Laramie, QC
    Fully Built 48RE, Billet Flex Plate, Triple Disc TC, 62/65 HE351cw
    2017 Corvette 3LZ Z06 M7 with Z07 Package

I do not recommend the book for lml unless you just had a extra couple hundred dollars. I tried and it doesnt even mention LML engine tuning in the book I wish they would come out with LMM/LML starter guide to tuning but they wont try this thread

https://forum.efilive.com/showthread...-with-LML-tune

Im still looking for help with like timing and stuff im in the same position you are