Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need to verify if tune file I downloaded is 4L80E

Default Need to verify if tune file I downloaded is 4L80E

So I've been having so many issues with the transmission swap and have pretty much decided to not run a conversion harness (using a 4L60E tune) to run my 4L80E and actually run a native 4L80E tune. I will be using the Frost Harness I have but it'll be stripped of both relays. It will be used to only swap the PWM pin over and also have the PRNDL switch harness integrated to it as 2009 didn't have an external PRDNL switch). I have already wired in the ISS to the Trans connector harness (again, 2009 had a ISS). I have pretty much checked schematics for both harnesses and they are landed inthe same location on the TCM so everything should be wired correctly except for one wire on the TCM that needs to be moved from location 45 to 26 (ISS Low Reference). I just need to know for certain that the TCM is going to swap the B-solenoid output when the new tune is flashed.

I've found two tunes online and one of them has the same operating system as mine. I've uploaded mine, and the two tunes I found. Can someone verify which of the two 2007 or the 2009 G3500 tune on the T42 controller would work hand in hand with my E38 ECM?

My 2009 E38 ECM ... OS 12630501, CAL 12630500
    My 2009 T42 TCM ... OS 24243356, CAL 24240449

2009 G3500 T42 TCM ... OS 24243356, CAL 24235753

2007 T42 TCM ... OS 24235341, CAL 24230461

Currently, even though I had a feeling it wouldnt work, I wired the ISS in and set the 4L60E tune to YES for that option as it was originally ... well it'll work fine for a little and then set a code before the TCC starts turning on and then off within a second, over and over (when it's in range per tables). I'm assuming the ISS pulse count is different between the 4L60E and 4L80E .. not sure of the code 'cos I didnt have a scanner on my way home from the shop and the only thing I could do was hit clear codes on my bluetooth OBD-II adapter ... it'll run fine for a bit and then trip the trans code again before acting weird.

Using this as a guide ... https://sites.google.com/site/sloppy...-nnbs-t42-swap
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Mean Green Z28; January 10th, 2017 at 03:37 PM.

Well the 2009 tune seemed to work best. 2007 tune didn't have the shifter location on the dash; so assuming it didn't speak to the ECM.

The first issue after just swapping a few wires and loading tune was that it was always commanding 2nd gear as if it was in limp home mode. Then did a big more digging and found that the 3 transmission range pressure switch wires were not on the trans harness; it was on the modified/simplified/stripped Frost harness so I assumed it was on the trans harness too ... Never assume!

So, Had to run 3 wires for transmission pressure switch signal A B C and pin them in at the T42 connector and Trans plug. Not sure if I did it all right in a rush; orsomething else is the issue, but seems like Solenoid A may not be working (burned it while troubleshooting maybe?).

Now, Scanner goes through the sequence from 1st to 3rd as expected and the solenoid status matches that of the 4L80E ... but I only feel we only take off on 2nd and feel the shift from 2nd (off/off) to 3rd (off/on) but 4th is never requested occurs so there's something wrong. It also probably takes off in 2nd even though 1st is requested. Never felt the shift from 1 (on/off) to two (off/off) ... so a burned up A solenoid does make sense. Unless I have to move that pin on the TCM too. Will have to compare harnesses.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mean Green Z28; January 12th, 2017 at 12:18 PM.

Here's the pinout from the 2009 G3500 Van ... I added transmission pressure switch signals a b and c to the empty slots and moved 45 to 26.

https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5877bb41...%202316732.pdf

Thanks for sharing, may help someone else.
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy366 View Post
    Thanks for sharing, may help someone else.
    Yeah everything I do seems to need a lot of learning and troubleshooting as there's not much found for my year when doing a search. Either that or nodoby has really chronicled these issues.

Crazy cos it's a popular swap and it works well for other years, but the 2009 is one of those wierd years where the 4L60E had the ISS and PRNDL switch all internal ... so I've had to add the PRNDL harness and ISS as in the 4L80E ... the reason I decided to stick with a stripped Frost Harness to just make that easier and avoid any changes to the factory wiring .. looks like I did have to atleast add 3 wires. Haha

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170111_122134.jpg 
Views:	391 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	20619

Shoulda just got a 2010 with a 6 speed
    GM EFI Tuner
    02 WS6 9.41 @ 143 MPH 3675#, drag radials, pump gas, through the mufflers - sold

Quote Originally Posted by BLK02WS6 View Post
    Shoulda just got a 2010 with a 6 speed
    Hmmm return to N/A and buy a newer one with 4 big doors and then put turbo on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green Z28 View Post
    Here's the pinout from the 2009 G3500 Van ... I added transmission pressure switch signals a b and c to the empty slots and moved 45 to 26.

Document%20ID_%202316732.pdf

Do you also have the TCM wiring diagram that goes with that, I want to see if they agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green Z28 View Post
    Well the 2009 tune seemed to work best. 2007 tune didn't have the shifter location on the dash; so assuming it didn't speak to the ECM.

The first issue after just swapping a few wires and loading tune was that it was always commanding 2nd gear as if it was in limp home mode. Then did a big more digging and found that the 3 transmission range pressure switch wires were not on the trans harness; it was on the modified/simplified/stripped Frost harness so I assumed it was on the trans harness too ... Never assume!

So, Had to run 3 wires for transmission pressure switch signal A B C and pin them in at the T42 connector and Trans plug. Not sure if I did it all right in a rush; orsomething else is the issue, but seems like Solenoid A may not be working (burned it while troubleshooting maybe?).

Now, Scanner goes through the sequence from 1st to 3rd as expected and the solenoid status matches that of the 4L80E ... but I only feel we only take off on 2nd and feel the shift from 2nd (off/off) to 3rd (off/on) but 4th is never requested occurs so there's something wrong. It also probably takes off in 2nd even though 1st is requested. Never felt the shift from 1 (on/off) to two (off/off) ... so a burned up A solenoid does make sense. Unless I have to move that pin on the TCM too. Will have to compare harnesses.

Using a voltmeter, measure the voltage to the solenoid in question...

when it is on you should see the voltage drop to ground (or close to it), when it is off the voltage should go back up to battery voltage... verify this first to eliminate any wiring problem;

( if you use the scantool to command the gears/solenoids, you should hear it click on )

if voltage is ok, then you will have to drop the pan to see/hear if the solenoid is working and if it needs replacement

( verify the new one before installing the pan ).

Also log the pids GM.GEAR and GM.BOXRATIO to see what gear/solenoid is being commanded and whether the correct gear/ratio is seen

( note: in 4th the ratio will be wrong because the ISS is after the 4th clutch, i.e. it is measuring overdriven input speed in 4th only )

check for trans DTC's (enable the solenoid DTC's if they have been disabled )

post logs showing trans pids.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast