Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Need to verify if tune file I downloaded is 4L80E

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    i.e. to see if 4th gear is commanding you should see engine rpm drop even tho the pid GM.TIS stays the same as for 3rd gear...

take a log of these pids:
    - GM.TIS
    - GM.TOS
    - SAE.RPM
    - SAE.VSS
    - SAE.TP
    - SAE. MAP
    - GM.GEAR
    - GM.BOXRATIO
    - GM.TCCMODE
    Here's the log of a short drive after getting it all figured out.

LOG AFTER 4L80E Tune and Wiring.efi

I guess I wasn't paying attention when stripping down the Frost harness of its relays and resisters and turns out the pin locations for the TFP needed to be moved over one to avoid the unused ground pin on the stock harness (I left the body harness as stock as possible) ... and I had swapped B and C in my haste. Everything seems to work now (well, lets see what you see in the Log ... I can def see the gear ratios change as the shifts complete).

Now the issue is that the the TCC doesn't seem strong enough to hold the converter locked. UGH! if it's not one, it's another! It's a stock G3500 trans tune so assuming I can bump up the pressures a bit as comparing the tunes shows the older 4L60E tune had much higher pressures down lower. Also, I'm not sure how our scaled tune comes into play when the TCM calculates pressure in relation to delivered engine torque. I'm wondering if we're showing torque down by a factor and need to multiply the values by 2 as we divided the values in the tune by 2 (Brett will have to verify this). I don't want to ruin a freshly built converter so as I drove home, I kept getting off the throttle to let the TCC unlock before I get back on it and tried to roll at minimum throttle as much as possible. I'm hoping it isn't too late.

Here's the wiring configuration I ended up with on the adapter harness.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2009 Silverado 4L80E Adapter Harness.JPG 
Views:	438 
Size:	148.0 KB 
ID:	20651
    Last edited by Mean Green Z28; January 17th, 2017 at 01:33 PM.

I see TCCMODE never going to Applied.

I see MAP doing weird stuff... at idle in R with closed throttle, MAP is zero kPa...

Which TCM signal are you using to drive the 4L80E's TCCPWM solenoid...?

Joe,

Using the U terminal (PWM). Everything seems to work, and we've been playing with the tune. TCC seems to work well anough but just doesn't have any holding power anymore and just slips when getting into it when locked up above 80-90%. Assuming we've burned up clutches or there's some parameters in this tune we need to figure out to increase the PWM. TC builder says we need atleast 110psi of line press in there on a 4L80E ... if it doesn't hold, it's time for a much beefier converter (billet/multi-clutch etc.) as the street/strip 3200 stall isn't enough to hold the power.

Here's the latest Log. Not sure what the heck the MAP is doing! I'm looking at older logs and it's around 50kPA at idle. The only thing different is that these logs are when connected to TCM and not ECM after validating the parameters. Does that change anything? I have a Log before the 4L80E tune swap and it's about 50 .. could the tune be messing it up somehow?
    LOG AFTER 4L80E Tune and Wiring_0003.efi

Latest tune that matches the Log.
    2009 g3500_4L80_T42_24243356_scaled_0002.ctz

We were both wondering why the TCC goes from OFF to SLEW ... is there also a Applied mode? Never seen it coming on. Is there a time that the TCC needs to be at full PWM before it'll go to Applied mode?

Good idea, check line pressure... it should go higher than 110 psi, but how high depends on engine load...

I have to look this up for the 4L80E.
    Last edited by joecar; January 18th, 2017 at 04:39 PM.

Also log the pids GM.TRQENG and GM.TFMPRS.

I'm wondering if MAP behaving strange is causing line pressure to be low.

There's tables for Min and Max TCC pressure...

set them both to 100%.

Post your current tune file.

Current tune attached ... it's a scaled tune. Also a Log of a quick drive with that tune. I was just messing with the IAT vs. fuel flow rate table for the cooler weather.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    There's tables for Min and Max TCC pressure...

set them both to 100%.

Post your current tune file.
    So disable PWM control? How does ramp rate really work? I copied the ramp rate table from the 4L60E tune and it seemed to ramp up faster but it takes so damn long to go from like 45% to 100% .. like 10-12 sec at least! Even the 1-2 shift takes a long time. another thing is that if I do a "spirited" take off, I get the flashing check engine light. The scanner can't read the code.

Here it is with MIN tables maxed out .. you can see the TCC slip on the RPM.

I also logged a run with force motor current and it runs at about 0.6A but gets to about 0.5 as I roll into it ... is that too low?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast