Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Basics on how to build a tune (im stumped)

OK. I'll try again tomorrow.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Matt

'06LLY, 5" MagnaFlow Turbo-Back Exhaust, EGR Blocker, K&N Filter...

Hi StinkyDog

I am from Australia & if you haven't heard yet there is a lot of Duramax engine conversions being done over here.
    I am a diesel mechanic but never got into learning about tuning until now. I have done a conversion on my bro's car & I want to learn how to tune.
    In the goodness of your heart, would there be any chance that I could learn from your tunes also.
    If you decline on my request I can understand. If you don't ask you will never know the answer.

Cheers Troy Gardner
    Regards Gards

Hey Man U think u could help on lmm and teaching the main essentials and some helpful tips, personal email tommyashley27@gmail.come

U elaborate a like on the numbers is that fuel pulse or pilot,, or timing, I got fuel, assumed Tim

Can someone tell me about the 30-50% to -50% thing,, if more timing is more power why would u want less timing and are u adding 30-50% to ur timing tables or is it to the pilot timing,, can u please explain

I tried to send you an e-mail, but I don't think that you got it.
    when you hear something referred to as a 50/50 timing, or 50% if you will, it's referring to the amount of PW that is before top dead center.
    Obviously this depends on the rotational speed of the engine.
    When you're setting degrees of timing, that refers to the beginning of the fuel pulse event. I have not found the pilot to make any difference with regard to ignition timing. logic says that it does, but I think it is such a small amount that it really doesn't make a difference. It also tends to make a much smoother ignition event, hence less noise.
    It is true that more advanced timing will give you more power, to a point. However, that power comes at a cost in terms of internal cylinder pressure.
    There's always an aspect of negative torque in a diesel engine. It's just the nature of the beast.
    Answer your question about reducing timing.... Place that you want to do this is high pulse width and low RPM.
    If you make a spreadsheet, and put your formulas in there to figure percent BTDC on your pulse with, you can see what Chevy does. it'll give you a pretty good idea of where to start.

Shoot me an email and I'll send you what I have for timing calculators that I developed. mwagg737@gmail.com

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Matt

You also get to a point where your pulse width is so wide that you get more than desired BTDC and mor than desired ATDC and there is a point where you need to stat thinking about larger injectors to make the needed squirt in the window that works. Like closer to stock. And as far as the comment that the manufactures dont even know what timing is, Couldnt be father from the truth. Your talking about multi BILLION dollar company's with more engineering power than nasa. amd the Dmax was a colaboration with Isuzu who DEFIANTLY knows a shit ton about tuning a diesel.
    1972 Chevy Blazer, Twin Turbo Duramax 6.6
    69 Maro TT 427 LSX, Wayne due Vett frnt sub,
    Lateral Dynamics 3 link rear, D 60,
    T56, 18X10' 18X12 Boze Forged Speedsters,
    13" wilwood 6 pot fronts 13" wilwood 4 pot rears,
    (all Still under construction)

Quote Originally Posted by Madspeed View Post
    You also get to a point where your pulse width is so wide that you get more than desired BTDC and mor than desired ATDC and there is a point where you need to stat thinking about larger injectors to make the needed squirt in the window that works. Like closer to stock. And as far as the comment that the manufactures dont even know what timing is, Couldnt be father from the truth. Your talking about multi BILLION dollar company's with more engineering power than nasa. amd the Dmax was a colaboration with Isuzu who DEFIANTLY knows a shit ton about tuning a diesel.
    Well said!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Matt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12