Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Basics on how to build a tune (im stumped)

Default Basics on how to build a tune (im stumped)

Hi guys and girls i am new to the EFI V2 world and would like a little push is the right direction. I am looking to built my own DSP5 tunes for my LBZ and my friends LMM. I have a built trans and his is stock. What tables should i be worried about looking at and what ones should i leave clear alone? Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! So far i have learned how to activate the turbo in a tow tune, turn the EGR off and a few tips on making an ECO tune.

How much do you know about diesel timing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Matt

'06LLY, 5" MagnaFlow Turbo-Back Exhaust, EGR Blocker, K&N Filter...

i know a little bit about it but i do not understand it 100% yet. i know more timing and gain you power and too much is not good i just do not know where that wall should be.
    06 LBZ ecsb 215xxx Fass 150 Dsp5 230hp Suncoast built trans custom EGR delete kit and y-bridge 5" downpipe back

08 LMM ccsb 140xxx dsp5 5" downpipe back no muffler

Unlike a gas engine, diesel timing is commonly referred to a %BTDC. What this means is, the amount of the injection cycle in mS that is before TDC. A 50/50 timing would be 50% BTDC and 50% ATDC. There are some calculators out there for figuring % timing based on RPM or you can do the formula yourself.

A diesel will not warn you like a gas engine will when you have gone too far. The diesel rattle MAY get somewhat louder, but not always.

I started by messing with the pulse width (PW) table. The truck will mostly run in the "B" table for the LBZ. To start with, try adding 10% the numbers above the idle range. DO NOT MESS WITH THE IDLE! YOU WILL REGRET IT! At least until you become more comfortable with it.

For serious tuning I think a pyrometer is essential equipment. Although EGT is not the end all beat all, you certainly don't want to melt your turbo with excessive heat!

Send me a PM and I will share some of my personal tunes I made for my LBZ. I also have a calculator for figuring % that I made.
    Matt

PM'd

thanks again!
    06 LBZ ecsb 215xxx Fass 150 Dsp5 230hp Suncoast built trans custom EGR delete kit and y-bridge 5" downpipe back

There's more to a Pyro than just temps. The best probe would monitor cyllinder pressure but that's a bit hard to setup. You can think of extra boost as a sort of blanket for those higher temps. If you're running without egr. You'll want lower boost in general (wastes energy), but lowering boost also increase egts. Air is your heat sink, and it'll be your primary tool for tweaking egts, especially when towing. Although if you keep it mostly stock you won't really have a problem there.

i have an egt and boost gauge in you truck, what should a guy be doing with timing? where should the limits be on a stock tranny/ motor?

Timings kind of a gotchya because a little something called pilot injection, and it's chaos. The '50-50' tune is kind of a convenient hack. I will tell you that the best tunes would have ranges fron 30% to 80% to -50% (yes after tdc).

Unfortunately there's no really good way to calculate what the 'best' timing is. Not even the OEMs really know, they just kind of guess and tweak to the specifications. Additionally there can be things like temperature effect on timing, so when your hot all is well, but when cold weather hits, timing gets boosted to dangerous levels and your snapping piston rods.

Having said that I have never actaully seen a case where lowering timing actaully gave more mpgs.

Can't really help you more than that, never touched the LMM. The people who have brute forced decent timing out obviously aren't going to tell you what they are.

Tried to send you a PM, but it wouldn't let me. I accepted you as a friend, try again and see what happens.
    Matt

i changed my settings' it should work now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast