Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with Calc.VET on PCM Swap SBC

Question Help with Calc.VET on PCM Swap SBC

Hey guys - I'm looking to see if I can get a little direction from the experts so I can get on track with the Calc.VET Tuning method.

I have a 411 PCM on a 355 SBC through an EFI Connection kit. Engine has about 11:1 compression, GM Fast Burn Heads, TPIS MiniRam, 224/230 110 cam, headers no cats. Car is 89 Corvette with 6 speed and 3.92 gear. Injectors are 32 lbs. @ 43.5 and I'm running 44 psi without a vacuum pull on regulator. I'm certain that my harness is correct and my spark settings are modified properly, so I do not believe I have a hardware issue. Also, the engine has less than 10,000 miles on it and has 185 psi on every cylinder +/- 5.

Current tuning setup includes FAST WB with analog input. It reads extremely lean in most light acceleration and steady cruise situations 15 - 17, while the LTFTs are negative 11 to 18. With any quick tip in or heavy load/throttle the AFR goes way rich usually 11.2 avg., sometimes 10s. This causes the car to shudder and even give me a blinking MIL. The only thing that seems to be almost usable is the idle at 14.3 - 14.5 on the WB. With the camshaft size, I'm definitely getting reversion but I have double checked the WB with a new AFX / NGK setup and found similar results, so regardless of overall accuracy of the FAST WB, it seems to be correct.

These issues seem to cause drastic spikes and holes in my Maps when trying to perform Calc.VET. I can literally have two cells next to one another at the same RPM where one goes up and the next goes down dramatically, and the cell count is high on both. I smooth the table manually, run it again and get the same results. I cannot seem to get anywhere with tuning my Main VE Table and MAF.

Given I'm running an SBC with fair duration I'm certain that the injector timing is way off but I'm not quite sure what to do about it because I cannot seem to measure any changes that I have made to injector timing.

Can I get some of you guys to possibly give my tune a look and make some suggestions that I can try changing to settings where my AFR can come more in line? I'm feeling pretty helpless with this...

I have purchased an AEM 30-0333 with new 4.9 sensor so I can hook up Serial, but given that I have corroborated my current readings with another known working sensor I'm reluctant to install it until I get the tune more reasonable where I don't shorten the life of the new sensor.

89YM411_012517.ctz

Lifetime Member

Unfortunately the AEM 30-0333 will not work via OBDII with non-CAN PCM/ECMs, so you'll have to rewire it to use either analog or serial out.

I get an out-of-range for C3003 Predicted MAP Max, change that so it's not out of range.

Are you running a MAF? If you're running in hybrid VE/MAF and having these issues, try going full SD only and dialing in the VE first. Then go full MAF and dial that in. Then blend them both with a quick Calc.VET. The jagged edges of your VE table tell me there's conflicting stuff coming into your logs, VE should be nice and smooth (for the most part).

Do you have a log of this you could share as well?
    Last edited by ScarabEpic22; January 25th, 2017 at 05:51 PM.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Post log file and some screenshots of maps ( use SHIFT-PRTSCR... also see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenshot ).

Check that you are filtering the data correctly before copy/pasting to the tune file.
    Also ensure you are driving the car correctly to maximize the amount of usable data.
    The Tremor at AIR

Hey, reading through this I just noticed your fuel pressure is 43psi without vacuum in the regulator. Did you update the map on efilive for flow rate vs map? Stock I think for a 411 is 58 psi.

Id specify the map number, but I forgot my laptop today.

I don't want to derail the troubleshooting, so if you've taken care of it already, then carry on sir.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    Unfortunately the AEM 30-0333 will not work via OBDII with non-CAN PCM/ECMs, so you'll have to rewire it to use either analog or serial out.

Yup - I built a harness to tie into the gauge to the serial port on the V2. I bought the 30-0333 because I have newer vehicles that I would like to tune some day and it will do analog, serial and can.

I get an out-of-range for C3003 Predicted MAP Max, change that so it's not out of range.

How do I change that? I have gone to C3003 entered 15 into every single cell, saved it and gone back to it and it still shows out of range. Am I missing something in that table? The highest value is 105 and I've even gone through and changed all of those to 104 and saved the file and it has still showed out of range. Is it affecting me?

Are you running a MAF? If you're running in hybrid VE/MAF and having these issues, try going full SD only and dialing in the VE first. Then go full MAF and dial that in. Then blend them both with a quick Calc.VET. The jagged edges of your VE table tell me there's conflicting stuff coming into your logs, VE should be nice and smooth (for the most part).

I am running a MAF. It's an LS2 style. When you say try going full SD, do you mean AutoVE tuning like the tutorial on the EFI Live homepage?

Do you have a log of this you could share as well?

See attached below.
    0103 LOG 3.efi

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    Post log file and some screenshots of maps ( use SHIFT-PRTSCR... also see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenshot ).
    Log file in post above.

Here are the screenshots:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Log Results 1.png 
Views:	250 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	20695

Take a look at the cell of 100 kPa at 400 RPMs.... That cell averaged 0.2070 with 51 counts. The engine won't even run at 400 rpms, so how did it hit that cell 51 times?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Log Results Graph.png 
Views:	234 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	20696

Quote Originally Posted by 5.7ute View Post
    Check that you are filtering the data correctly before copy/pasting to the tune file.

I think so... I'm following the tutorial that WeathermanShawn developed.

Also ensure you are driving the car correctly to maximize the amount of usable data.
    I'm trying, but maybe I don't know what that is. When I log, I'm trying to drive as smoothly as possible without accelerating quickly and varying the RPMs as much as possible so as to cover as many cells as I can. That said, the majority of my cell counts are between 2000 and 4000 RPMS and 25 and 50 kPa.

Any advice to change my methodology?

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmech442 View Post
    Hey, reading through this I just noticed your fuel pressure is 43psi without vacuum in the regulator. Did you update the map on efilive for flow rate vs map? Stock I think for a 411 is 58 psi.
    If you're referring to B4001 Injector Flow Rate, then yes, I changed that. I specified that I had done that in the original post because the TPIs and LT1s had the vacuum regulators and would therefore have a constant value for flow rate and it's a common thing that I've seen guys get wrong who have done these PCM swaps to older engines. To get the values, I used an .xls file I found on this board that spits out flow values with 3 variables: injector rated pressure, gauge pressure on rail and injector flow rate.

I am a bit concerned because I recently bought a matched set of injectors from FI Connection which are supposed to be 32@43.5 matched set... but they have the same p/n and look as the 30@39.15 set that I removed them for.

If that's not what you're thinking of, please let me know. I feel like I have gone through each and every map to make sure it made sense for my application.

Thanks

Sorry, I meant screenshots of the scantool maps of your logged data during the Calc.VET procedure.

~Moderator~

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast