Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with Calc.VET on PCM Swap SBC

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    Sorry, I meant screenshots of the scantool maps of your logged data during the Calc.VET procedure.
    Like these?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	log3 map maf.png 
Views:	207 
Size:	12.1 KB 
ID:	20699

Name:	log3 map.png 
Views:	221 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	20700

Yes.

In the map properties, for the MAF map, goto the Cell tab and constrain the cell size.

When viewing the maps, click the x-bar button to view the MAF map correction factors and the VE map calculated VE values.

In the tunetool, go Edut->Properties and set VE units to g*K/kPa.

~Moderator~

I'm still looking at your tune file...

~Moderator~

Yes.

In the map properties, for the MAF map, goto the Cell tab and constrain the cell size.

Thanks, that makes it much easier to read.

When viewing the maps, click the x-bar button to view the MAF map correction factors and the VE map calculated VE values.

Yup, that's how I've been plotting and modifying

In the tunetool, go Edut->Properties and set VE units to g*K/kPa.

I think I have that set correctly already. See attached map.
    I feel like there has to be something in the tune that is just too far out of the parameters of the engine dynamics that needs to be improved/changed before I can really get the Calc.VET procedure to produce better results.

Have you guys ever started from scratch basically with a tune where the car just didn't seem to run right and went straight to Calc.VET? It just seems like I'm missing a critical point somewhere that needs repair before the tuning should really start. The engine ran fine with the original 165 tpi ecm, so I'm quite certain that the issue is not mechanical and I just replaced the headers (and gaskets) to be certain that I wasn't getting fresh air contamination on my O2 sensor readings.

I know that the car is running lean at normal cruise (the exhaust gas is so hot that it is discoloring the ceramic coating on my brand new headers) but it's choking on fuel with any semi aggressive throttle... I'm pulling my hair out here because I know what's going on, I just don't know how to solve it!

Name:	log3 map maf constrained.png 
Views:	213 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	20705

Name:	log3 VET map.png 
Views:	219 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	20706

Try this:

set B0120 to zero (or any value below 200 rpm), this will force MAF only;

then bump up the MAF table where fueling is lean... you could use the MAF map, but be sure to apply the throttle transient filter.

sometimes it helps to start again from a stock tune.
    Last edited by joecar; February 1st, 2017 at 06:57 AM.

BTW:

table C3003: set the out-of-range cells to in-range values as follows (there's a trick to it):

set the blue-eared cells to max-5, save file, exit tunetool (all the way out), reopen tunetool, set those cells to max value, save file.

Quote Originally Posted by spedracr93 View Post

Take a look at the cell of 100 kPa at 400 RPMs.... That cell averaged 0.2070 with 51 counts. The engine won't even run at 400 rpms, so how did it hit that cell 51 times?
    It hit that cell during starting...?

You will have to edit the transient filter to exclude data engine speed is below 420 rpm.

Quote Originally Posted by spedracr93 View Post
    If you're referring to B4001 Injector Flow Rate, then yes, I changed that. I specified that I had done that in the original post because the TPIs and LT1s had the vacuum regulators and would therefore have a constant value for flow rate and it's a common thing that I've seen guys get wrong who have done these PCM swaps to older engines. To get the values, I used an .xls file I found on this board that spits out flow values with 3 variables: injector rated pressure, gauge pressure on rail and injector flow rate.

I am a bit concerned because I recently bought a matched set of injectors from FI Connection which are supposed to be 32@43.5 matched set... but they have the same p/n and look as the 30@39.15 set that I removed them for.

If that's not what you're thinking of, please let me know. I feel like I have gone through each and every map to make sure it made sense for my application.

Thanks
    Doing a calculation to sanity check your IFR table:

your 0 kPa cell is 4.0547 g/s --> this is 32.18 lb/hr so this checks ok.

your rail pressure is 44 psi (asm mentioned above) --> this is 303 kPa

your 80 kPa cell is 4.5547 g/s --> calculation says it should be 4.0547 * sqrt(383/303) = 4.5586 g/s, this checks ok.

And, your FPR is un-referenced, so your B4001 IFR should be sloped (slope goes as sqrt((300+VAC)/300)), as it does.
    Last edited by joecar; February 1st, 2017 at 06:59 AM.

Do you have data for table B3701...?

Do you have table B9021 (defined by cax file) for Minimum Transient Pulsewidth...?
    ( if you have the data, see post #12 here: 17699-need-B9021-for-01250003 )

BTW:

table C3003: set the out-of-range cells to in-range values as follows (there's a trick to it):

set the blue-eared cells to max-5, save file, exit tunetool (all the way out), reopen tunetool, set those cells to max value, save file.
    That worked. I guess I had never saved then exited and opened back up before. I would save and close the window, then open the window back up.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast