Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using Cummins Insite on 2007-2009.5 6.7L with CM2100A and 2010-2012.5 CM2200

Default Using Cummins Insite on 2007-2009.5 6.7L with CM2100A and 2010-2012.5 CM2200

Not a "tuning" question, but I figure all the savvy Cummins experts will be more active in this section:

New to EFI Live, and I am hoping someone on the forum has had success doing this. I want to use Cummins Insite to read data and DTCs from the CM2100A and CM2200 ECMs like I already do with any Class 7 Cummins CM550, CM850, CM2250, etc. Has anyone had success doing this? I used EFI Live to flash the changes I wanted into the ECMs via CAN, but the J1939 Datalink does not communicate with either ECM using Insite (get the "Contact distributor for subscription" message). Datalink traffic on J1939 is normal as measured with Cummins Adapter Validation, and I can communicate with both ECMs on J1939 using Calterm.

Thanks!
    Last edited by DieselShop; February 10th, 2017 at 09:48 AM.

I believe you can use Calterm if you communicate threw the data link connector. You need to have a 120ohm resistor for it to work over J-1939.

Thank you for your response! You are correct, and I have done that already with Calterm. However, I want to use Cummins Insite on these ECMs instead of Chrysler software. We remanufacture and dyno test engines and the dyno cells already have Insite installed. I will not make Calterm available to the dyno operators due to its nature as an engineering environment application.

Quote Originally Posted by tdokken@reviva.com View Post
    Thank you for your response! You are correct, and I have done that already with Calterm. However, I want to use Cummins Insite on these ECMs instead of Chrysler software. We remanufacture and dyno test engines and the dyno cells already have Insite installed. I will not make Calterm available to the dyno operators due to its nature as an engineering environment application.
    Insite will not work on a few years of Dodge rams.

I am sure it could be made to work by changing stuff in the rom to alter j1939 address claiming or diagnostic service options, but its not a light request, and likely you will need to hire someone capable of reverse engineering the problem and coming up with a fix. There is no magic "do this and it will work!" solution here.

What is calterm and Insite? These must be new programs because I am just now hearing about them. What are their purposes?

Quote Originally Posted by EverydayDiesel View Post
    What is calterm and Insite? These must be new programs because I am just now hearing about them. What are their purposes?
    Calterm is the Cummins ECM engineering software (been around for a long time) Insite is like Cat ET for Caterpillar but for Cummins. Most truck dealers use this for troubleshooting, codes, flashing, parameters, diagnostic test, etc. on the "larger" cummins engines like in big trucks, farm, mining, rail. The heavy duty stuff.

I'm generally not a fan of phone based apps but Cummins have a very nice diagnostic app that reads and clears DTC's on anything of theirs via the J1939 bus...it is free too! You just need a support Bluetooth adaptor.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

does this clear the dtc permanent or can it

Where do you put the 120 ohm resistor to get Calterm talking with the CM2200 ECM?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim P View Post
    Where do you put the 120 ohm resistor to get Calterm talking with the CM2200 ECM?
    Between the High and low on J1939 Not CAN bus. Pins 31/51 on cm2100. It must have a resistance of 120 ohms between High and Low (+,-) Just splice the resistors inline.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast