Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: AEM X-Series Wideband - Serial

Turns out, that isn't overshoot, in the proper sense. That's the effect of the pressure pulse from the test gas solenoid activation. Only the LC-1 and the new AEM controllers are fast enough to see it. It lasts about 40ms or so.
    Somewhere around here, I have the pressure sensor output trace, from that test, that matches it.

Ah, I see, it's the pressure pulse.

Is the LC-2 the same as the LC-1 (is it as fast...?)...?

The LC-2 and MTX-L ( and, i think the LM-2 ) are limited to the 12Hz ( 82ms ) update rate on both the serial and analog outputs.
    But, they announced a new version at SEMA that is supposed to be faster.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by dr.mike View Post
    The LC-1 was great, if you knew how to set it up properly ( few did). Otherwise, you had to deal with ground offset issues and HUGE noise problems. So, the serial data was used allot. Even though it cut down the response speed to 12Hz.

This is about the best possible output from an LC-1. With the cables cut down to about 6" and, using 12-gauge wires, with isolated signal ground and differential input. 99% of installations were MUCH noisier than this.
    Hi Mike

I'm getting ready to re install my two LC-1's following this advice, I've got the cable, capacitors and resister as mentioned in another thread, do you have a wiring diagram for the placement of the capacitor and resister? Unfortunately I have one LC-1 with the green wire, the other without

So i have 2 aems in my twin turbo drag car and 1 in my spare single turbo drag car...

I haven't logged the twin yet except via the serial port, but i did log the single the other day via the serial and the analog & i must say the analog is pretty good.

attached is a screenshot from a 9.7 second run (hit limiter well before the line) there is some drop-outs from the serial line but that is most likely from a loose connection.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AEM.png 
Views:	211 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	20776

as can be seen the analog line is probably able to send data much quicker then the bbx is able to sample data at. there is definitely more sample data from the analog then the serial.

Quote Originally Posted by Gelf VXR View Post
    I've got the cable, capacitors and resister as mentioned in another thread, do you have a wiring diagram for the placement of the capacitor and resister?
    Hi Gelf, please can you post a link to the other thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Tre-Cool View Post
    there is definitely more sample data from the analog then the serial.
    In your logs what is the time between frames (or what is the sample rate)...?

I'm getting ready to re install my two LC-1's following this advice, I've got the cable, capacitors and resister as mentioned in another thread, do you have a wiring diagram for the placement of the capacitor and resister? Unfortunately I have one LC-1 with the green wire, the other without
    It's been a long time since I did a proper LC-1 setup. I'll see if I can dig up my notes.

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    In your logs what is the time between frames (or what is the sample rate)...?
    Log here:LS1B_0111.efi

Quote Originally Posted by dr.mike View Post
    Can you try looking for the signal on the PC, using Hyperterm w/ an RS-232 adapter?
    The config should be 9600,8,N,1 ( IRRC )
    the signal is just plain text
    e.g.

... etc,

BTW. as data goes, the 0-5v is massively superior to the slow, coarse, serial data. It is 500 samples/second, vs. 10 samples/second for the serial. And, it has active ground offset compensation.
    I finally got a nice day to do some testing, the multimeter shows .03V from ground to serial output on the wideband. Using Putty I couldn't get any output. I tried a bunch of settings, tried it soldered to the rx and then the tx on the com port.. nothing. Double checked that the serial output pin was seated in the AEM harness.

03 Silverado 5.3 ECSB 4x4 Z71
    Comp Cam 206/212 .515/.522 112 lSA, hardened rods with LS9 springs

2010 Tahoe VVT AFM 5.3
    Stock for now

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast