Thread: What GM PCMs run VXWorks?

Default What GM PCMs run VXWorks?

I was doing some research on embedded OSs and came across VXWorks. This os is used in the mars landers, industrial control systems and much more. What caught my eye was that it's used in lots of automotive applications. Here you will find a list that includes GM as one of the companys that uses vxworks in it's pcms. Does anyone here know what gm pcms run vxworks? I think it would be fascinating to screw around with.

Problem with vxworks is that WindRiver charges arm/leg for each development seat, and a royalty fee for each instance sold...

I don't believe GM is willing to pay all that money...?

( I noticed that WindRiver is now an Intel company... GM usually does not use Intel in their vehicles )

Yes, vxworks is interesting, it gives you a good (but expexpensive) RTOS.

Pretty sure GM is all done internally. Back in the older PCM's (eg the mid 90's) it seemed each engine got its own software team so the code on the LS1 PCM is TOTALLY different to that on the LL8 6 cyl for example. Sometime after 2000 they started to consolidate and now the controllers are pretty much 80% running the same code regardless of engine type (well gas and Diesel are different of course).
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Maybe GM just uses vxworks in its assembly line or or something else. I'll post if I find anything else interesting on the topic.

I don't know that VXworks has ever actually been used on any automotive PCM. VXworks is used to run lots of PCMs for Robots used in manufacturing. That would most likely be where GM is using VXworks.
    Duane

2008 Ram 3500 QuadCab
    Hamilton 110# Springs & HD Pushrods, ARP 2000s, EFILive, SB 3250 DD

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    Pretty sure GM is all done internally. Back in the older PCM's (eg the mid 90's) it seemed each engine got its own software team so the code on the LS1 PCM is TOTALLY different to that on the LL8 6 cyl for example. Sometime after 2000 they started to consolidate and now the controllers are pretty much 80% running the same code regardless of engine type (well gas and Diesel are different of course).
    Did Ross say LL8?!
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Yep, its right up there with the T43
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.