Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Need some help with Calc VET

Lifetime Member HellKnightHicks's Avatar

Charged my units to GRAMS but the MAF table is all out of whack. Compared to the data coming out of the Log.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MAF Calibration all messed up.png 
Views:	208 
Size:	124.9 KB 
ID:	20797

Name:	MAF Map Properties.png 
Views:	185 
Size:	13.5 KB 
ID:	20798

Lifetime Member

selben is a BEN factor. ben factors are pastewith labels-> multiplied. not pasted with labels(over written).

calc.VET produces a factor(multiplier) for the MAF response and calcs a new VE.

I would expect numbers close to 1 for the selben.

My numbers are all 1.x not exceeding 1.25 But there were adjustmetns everywhere..

Does that VE table look odd to you? Would you think some of the values erroneous?

Name:	Pasted VE.png 
Views:	178 
Size:	144.1 KB 
ID:	20799

Thats after a paste from log.

Thanks everyone for the help in getting me this far.

Lifetime Member

1-3 g*Kelvin/kPa is about right.

looks ok. Did you filter correctly? did you hide cells with less than 30-50 hits?

Quote Originally Posted by HellKnightHicks View Post
    Charged my units to GRAMS but the MAF table is all out of whack. Compared to the data coming out of the Log.

Name:	MAF Calibration all messed up.png 
Views:	208 
Size:	124.9 KB 
ID:	20797

Name:	MAF Map Properties.png 
Views:	185 
Size:	13.5 KB 
ID:	20798
    You MAF map is saying that your MAF table needs to be multipled by about 1.25 (i.e. bumped up about 25%).

This could mean that your MAF plumbing/ducting is somewhat different from the original stock configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by HellKnightHicks View Post
    Does this look right? Would this imply that there is an Oxygen leak in the exhaust? The Exhaust Is all new.

Attachment 20796
    Manually flatten out the big spike and the smaller spike, then manually bring the untouched part of the VE table up to blend with the touch part.

Looks like your VE table wants to be increased by adding about 0.2-0.3 almost everywhere... if manually blending is too hard, then just add 0.2 everywhere (to the untouched VE table)... and then go capture another log to see what it does.
    Last edited by joecar; February 27th, 2017 at 01:19 PM.

Thats done it its dialed in very well at this point... Almost need to make myself a guide on everything to check when getting this started for the first time...

Thanks so much for all of them help...

Now its time to modify the spark tables... lol any guides for that...

After all of my endevors with that Transmission I had a few years back im pretty good with tranny tuning at this point.

The CALC VET is so much better than the old AUTO VE. So glad things have changed in a positive way.

Lifetime Member

Spark is easy to start with, just do global bumps until you get KR. Even then, you can just back off where you do get KR and make another global bump or 2. From there, I work in small RPM ranges and try to get a good number of hits in all the load cells. In my experience, the biggest gains on the 5.7 are made by bringing in total timing much sooner. The truck will hold OD much better and move about with a lot less pedal.
    1998 GMC Sierra K1500 5.7/4L80E, longtubes, 411 w/COS 5, marine cam/intake, Whipple. 91 octane at 6000'.
    1997 GMC Sierra K3500 7.4/4L80E, 411 w/COS 3, Whipple, small cam.
    2004 Corvette Z06 with longtubes.

Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    Spark is easy to start with, just do global bumps until you get KR. Even then, you can just back off where you do get KR and make another global bump or 2. From there, I work in small RPM ranges and try to get a good number of hits in all the load cells. In my experience, the biggest gains on the 5.7 are made by bringing in total timing much sooner. The truck will hold OD much better and move about with a lot less pedal.
    Teach me....

Bump Low and high Octane?

Here's the tune with the VE and MAF adapted as well as injectors for the marine intake...

96 White truck _0011.ctz
    Last edited by HellKnightHicks; February 27th, 2017 at 06:59 PM.

Lifetime Member

setup a map to log the same axis data as the spark tables- RPM on the rows and GM.DYNCYLAIR_DMA on the columns. The data of the map is KR.

Add 2 degrees of timing at a time globally until you get KR. Then back off 2degrees in the areas of KR. Keep the map very smooth. I always manually smooth on a VE, but use the built in functions to smooth on the timing. Smooth keeps away KR. Always assess the values as sane or not before you flash in tune.

Keep in mind most of your driving is in the .36-.72 gram/cylinder range so focus there. You want your map to approximate an old school distributor. Make sure the base idle timing is set well- and matches in ALL timing maps.

Also make sure you understand all the limiters, adders, subtractors, and multipliers to final timing. Set B5915 to 0 throughout.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast