Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Need some help with Calc VET

Lifetime Member HellKnightHicks's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    B3618

when you refer to its value, look in the upper RH corner of the EFILive tunetool, does it say Lambda or EQ Ratio...?

If the value is 0.82 Lambda then you're almost safe (for SC/TC Lambda 0.78 would be safer).

If the value is 0.82 EQR then you are way too lean (PCM prevents PE commanding less than EQR 1.000).
    Lambda

NA: safe PE is lambda 0.85 (EQR 1.170).

TC/SC: safe PE is lambda 0.78 (EQR 1.28).

Safe means having sufficient fuel to avoid lean knock.

Also, you have to make sure spark advance is reduced to avoid knock.
    Ah gotcha. So im running a little FAT Changed the table to .85 as you suggested.

B31616 Normal PE is currently set to 64% TPS until about 4000 RPM

Seems a little high up there to me.. Guess I should calibrate the TPS as well huh.

You could set B3616 to 64% below 3200 rpm and 35% above (i.e. same as 2002 F-car for example).

~Moderator~

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by HellKnightHicks View Post
    Lambda

Ah gotcha. So im running a little FAT Changed the table to .85 as you suggested.

B31616 Normal PE is currently set to 64% TPS until about 4000 RPM

Seems a little high up there to me.. Guess I should calibrate the TPS as well huh.

My truck runs .85 or so, but I need to command .82 for it to deliver. Once I do me a calc.vet it should deliver what I command.

You could set B3616 to 64% below 3200 rpm and 35% above (i.e. same as 2002 F-car for example).

~Moderator~
    Hicks if you look at my 4th gear TCC unlock and the B3616, you'll see that I hit PE mode just before a downshift at about 65mph+. It was originally intended as a last ditch effort for more power to hold 4th, but the difference is insignificant with an 8500# trailer out back. Now I just use it as an indicator; when the wideband shows PE in 4th I decide to either let the truck lose speed to hold 4th for a small rise that I figure I can regain my speed from on on the other side or just hammer down and go. Just thought I'd share some of the logic I use when tuning the truck, it's basically tow/haul all the time but it suits my driving style empty anyway. I really wish I had more time to devote to it, because I think I could be decent at this if I did.
    1998 GMC Sierra K1500 5.7/4L80E, longtubes, 411 w/COS 5, marine cam/intake, Whipple. 91 octane at 6000'.
    1997 GMC Sierra K3500 7.4/4L80E, 411 w/COS 3, Whipple, small cam.
    2004 Corvette Z06 with longtubes.

~Moderator~
    My table was pretty close to that any way. Great intel.

Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    My truck runs .85 or so, but I need to command .82 for it to deliver. Once I do me a calc.vet it should deliver what I command.

Hicks if you look at my 4th gear TCC unlock and the B3616, you'll see that I hit PE mode just before a downshift at about 65mph+. It was originally intended as a last ditch effort for more power to hold 4th, but the difference is insignificant with an 8500# trailer out back. Now I just use it as an indicator; when the wideband shows PE in 4th I decide to either let the truck lose speed to hold 4th for a small rise that I figure I can regain my speed from on on the other side or just hammer down and go. Just thought I'd share some of the logic I use when tuning the truck, it's basically tow/haul all the time but it suits my driving style empty anyway. I really wish I had more time to devote to it, because I think I could be decent at this if I did.
    I have now done Similar to yours.

I've got the trucks exaust torn down tonight. Getting ready to install an X-Pipe and 2 Jones JR25 Resonators.

The truck is so loud with these Purple hornies that i cant here myself think while driving. Starting a new job on monday and just cant handle the racket.

Im interested to see how the VE is effected by the X-Pipe and smaller down stream Pipe sizes. I wash shocked at how much spark affected the VE table.

As requested.

96 White truck _0025 Further PE.ctzWhite Truck Spark 7.efi
    That log is the one I used to make the Tune changes.

I can run another log.

I can say that My intake is taking in some oil vapor which is likely reducing my octain Rating as Joe Car has suggested.

I do have some marginal Oil leaks going on and have had to re-attach a vaccume line to the PCV setup
    Last edited by HellKnightHicks; March 11th, 2017 at 04:52 PM.

Spark advance affects where the comustion pressure peak occurs, this in turn not only affects torque production but also affects scavenging (ability to push/pull how much of burnt gases out into exhaust pipe), this in turn affects volumetric efficiency (which can be expressed in % cylinder fill or in absolute form as grams/cylinder).

~Moderator~

I'll look at your files on the morning.

~Moderator~

Got the hardest part of my exhaust done, piping to the x-pipe with mandrel bends is a challenging. Ran everything down to just before the end of the cab and into 2 jones jr25 resonators. I figured it would be quieter but it drones like crazy. I dont think I piped them out far enough.

Also used that old cranking VE spreadsheet to changed the Cranking VE. Apparently it didnt work though because it was so rich when starting it tonight it barly ran. Choked itself to death. setting B0102 back to the stock 1.8 across the board.

IT did change the VE quite a bit. Higher numbers mean more efficient and more power? Cause thats what i take it from what im seeing.

Exhaust warehouse delivering my pipes day after tomorrow. Cant be soon enough.
    Fridged cold here appears to have bumped the VE quite a bit. so i didnt apply it.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast