Thread: Drive by cable conversion help please

Default Drive by cable conversion help please

I have a 2006 Silverado 1500 that has a weekend warrior engine. I did my usual drive by cable swap that I have done on many 2003-2004s. I use the express van OS with the Blue/Green computer that is capable of controlling the IAC. Everything works great, except the AC does not work with factory dash controls. I can manually turn the AC on with my Tech2 and EFILive scanner with no issues.

What am I missing to make the AC work?06_Dakota57build_NA.ctz

Lifetime Member

Do you know what AC type you are running? It sounds like you are running a van OS. Those typically are setup for a 12 volts AC request, not from the BCM.
    Last edited by turbo_bu; March 9th, 2017 at 01:34 AM.

Correct....express vans use discrete input AC request....pickup trucks and SUV's have AC request via Class-2 databus.

There's obviously an AC-request-source switch somewhere in the ECM code, but you'd have to find it yourself because its not mapped in EFILive as far as I know.

Ben
    2005 Silverado, CC/SB, 4x4, LT, LILLY/Allison
    12.9s @ 108 mph

many thanks to Ross and Paul

Lifetime Member

The AC request is not mapped in EFILive, but I have found the AC request address for a few LS1B OS's. The other thing that might become important is the electric fans. I believe that the 2005+ trucks had electric engine fans. Will need to make sure what the config is for the AC (high / low switches &/or AC request type) and the electric fan setup. It might turn out that a segment swamp might be in order to get everything straightened out.

Who can do the segment ID swap?

Thanks guys for the help.

Lifetime Member

EFILive can do the segment swap. We just need to figure out what you have and how best to make it all work.

I sent a help request to EFI Live several days ago, no response.

Lifetime Member

If your wondering how to do the required segment swaps, you can do it yourself. It's not that hard. It's under the Edit / Copy entire segment / .

The thing that might still be confusing is which way you are wanting (or needing) to go. Right now your swap runs, but doesn't necessarily do everything you want it to do. To get those last few things might require a different approach. The way I understand what you have, you might end up doing either one of the following:

1 - use the Van OS and try to get it to work with the AC request. Pretty sure this could work, but also pretty sure that the engine cooling fans might not work as intended. Or that you could get a low speed fan going, but not necessarily the high speed.

2 - use a truck OS and try to make it DBC. This would ensure that the AC and the engine cooling fans would work, but we would have to try to see about making the engine part do a DBC. This is where I would segment swap in the van engine and make some changes to the system segment.