Thread: 2018 updated GM security keeps rolling out

Default 2018 updated GM security keeps rolling out

Hi All,

Unfortunately there is some more bad news for the GM aftermarket tuning industry, it appears a new ECM has arrived on some of the petrol/gas engines with the same security as the 2017+ E41 (L5P) Duramax ECM.
    The 2018 Malibu using the 1.5L Direct Injection engine is using a new ECM referred to as the E88.
    Tuning will not be possible with this ECM as it contains high levels of security including SHA-256 signatures on all calibration segments with no way to bypass them and no way to get in to the CPU using BDM/JTAG access. The CPU's used also have built in Crypto modules too. So my suspicion is GM are doing this in preparation for the 'Over the Air' updates they said will come in 2020 rather than to specifically keep tuners out, obviously the current security is not good enough once a vehicle is 'on-line' so this is the solution, really tighten it up.

Given GM have typically used ECM's for a 5 to 6 year cycle it probably means we will start to see replacements for the E92, E80, E39 etc that employ this new security too

The security used and what can (or can't) be done about has already been discussed in depth here when the E41 came out.
    https://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?27554-2017-Duramax

And some further reading:
    https://patentimages.storage.googlea.../US8930710.pdf

Cheers,
    Ross
    Last edited by GMPX; August 13th, 2017 at 11:00 AM.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

Well that sucks so does that mean you guys will have more time to revisit LML's

04 LB7
    2010 LMM
    2015 LML

This really shouldn't be a surprise for anyone.

Yeah I agree, I expected it earlier given how much harder it has been for the European car tuners for many years.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.