Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's this about Android app?

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    Ok, but using an OS for day to day chores is one thing, developing a product for an OS is another. I couldn't care less really what OS I run but to develop for Linux, no offence but why?
    I agree, just wanted to call out that in a few years you'll need (well want) to upgrade or look at a way to keep your dev machines safe from external threats. I'm guessing it'd actually be when you need new hardware to run the OS, it'll be a challenge to find older CPUs and motherboards.

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar281 View Post
    No, its not totally tombstoned. You generally can't buy it unless you find NOS somewhere like Microcenter or Amazon, and M$ apparently has been collaborating with Intel to try to ensure Windows 10 (Not Win7 - I have bought nothing but win7 on machines for my company) will be sold on all new computers by not making drivers for anything below Win10 for the latest chipsets, but Win 7 should continue to be supported and get security updates for a few more years. XP JUST went into the unsupported category.

Personally, while there are a few nice things about Win10, I'm FAR from impressed and would much rather run Win 7.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk
    Yes you're correct it's not "tombstoned", but it is EOL for consumers from Microsoft. They're pushing small security updates until 2020 and then it'll be like XP where tons of people run it but it never gets patched.

It's not ideal that the latest Intel CPUs (and AMD Ryzen CPUs) dont support anything prior to Windows 10. It's tough to tell people they have to run W10 on their latest PC build because the drivers dont exist for previous OS'.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    I agree, just wanted to call out that in a few years you'll need (well want) to upgrade or look at a way to keep your dev machines safe from external threats. I'm guessing it'd actually be when you need new hardware to run the OS, it'll be a challenge to find older CPUs and motherboards.

Yes you're correct it's not "tombstoned", but it is EOL for consumers from Microsoft. They're pushing small security updates until 2020 and then it'll be like XP where tons of people run it but it never gets patched.

It's not ideal that the latest Intel CPUs (and AMD Ryzen CPUs) dont support anything prior to Windows 10. It's tough to tell people they have to run W10 on their latest PC build because the drivers dont exist for previous OS'.
    Personally, I think it SUCKS that they are railroading people to Win10 - on the bright side, though, Ryzen DOES run just fine on Win7. I upgraded to a Ryzen 1800x and Asus ROG Crosshair VI Hero on launch day and loaded up a fresh install of Win 7 with no headaches. From what I've heard, Intel is the biggest one not making drivers for anything pre-Win10 for the newer chipsets. The update policy alone is garbage, and they do the same thing on the server OS!! YOU WILL TAKE THE UPDATES WE TELL YOU TO AND YOU WILL LIKE IT!!!! IMO, Windows 10 and Server 2016 are today's Windows Me.

Ok, but using an OS for day to day chores is one thing, developing a product for an OS is another. I couldn't care less really what OS I run but to develop for Linux, no offence but why?
    One has to ask the question: Why EFILive? There are other tuning suites, it doesn't matter to me what screen I see when tuning. So couldn't careless what does the tuning as long as it does it. (Point) Developing a tune in other software is just as easy. So why not Linux? No abrasion intended.

Oh one other thing MS develops software to run on Linux, hmm, go figure. Remember Bill Gates swore Linux was just a-flash-in-the-pan and Winders never worried about Linux, now it develops software to work and run on Linux.

Again Winders users are scary.
    Only thing I have that uses Winders is EFILive.
    Last edited by Chevy366; March 21st, 2017 at 07:16 AM.
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

If I didn't need to use Windows for work purposes then I probably would be running Mint rather than Windows because outside of work there is no programs that tie me to Windows. Having said that I have no issues with Windows 7, it is a good stable OS (unlike Windows 10 spyware and worse).
    But when writing software you can't just tick the 'compile for Linux', 'compile for OSX', I know you are passionate about Linux Chevy366 but at the end of the day the work required to port EFILive over to Linux for such a small user base (eg, people who tune and prefer Linux) is too small to justify.

And by the way, this thread is officially derailed
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

If I didn't need to use Windows for work purposes then I probably would be running Mint rather than Windows because outside of work there is no programs that tie me to Windows. Having said that I have no issues with Windows 7, it is a good stable OS (unlike Windows 10 spyware and worse).
    But when writing software you can't just tick the 'compile for Linux', 'compile for OSX', I know you are passionate about Linux Chevy366 but at the end of the day the work required to port EFILive over to Linux for such a small user base (eg, people who tune and prefer Linux) is too small to justify.

And by the way, this thread is officially derailed
    LOL!
    I do like the fact EFILive has gotten into Android apps.
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

We have a few line of business applications that require us to run windows (have two different businesses). The key to enjoying Windows 10 is to get Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB (long term servicing branch). LTSB is far cleaner - NO cortana, no xbox, no store (period, its not there), no tiles, no Edge. Far easier to change and configure all of the privacy and security settings, no forced "feature" updates, only critical security updates get installed. While MS does NOT want you to get LTSB you can get keys for it online on eBay and a few other places which are totally legit and legal to use valid keys.

IMO - LTSB is what Windows 10 should be. If I want all the other crap I'll install it. For a commercial business there is in 99.9% of cases NO legitimate need for xbox, candy crush auto installing, and other crap like that yet even Enterprise does that stuff although at least with Enterprise and Education using group policy and other tools you can disable most of it.

Quote Originally Posted by MixManSC View Post
    We have a few line of business applications that require us to run windows (have two different businesses). The key to enjoying Windows 10 is to get Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB (long term servicing branch). LTSB is far cleaner - NO cortana, no xbox, no store (period, its not there), no tiles, no Edge. Far easier to change and configure all of the privacy and security settings, no forced "feature" updates, only critical security updates get installed. While MS does NOT want you to get LTSB you can get keys for it online on eBay and a few other places which are totally legit and legal to use valid keys.

IMO - LTSB is what Windows 10 should be. If I want all the other crap I'll install it. For a commercial business there is in 99.9% of cases NO legitimate need for xbox, candy crush auto installing, and other crap like that yet even Enterprise does that stuff although at least with Enterprise and Education using group policy and other tools you can disable most of it.
    I'm trying to decide if you made a relevant post to this thread...

Do you have a FSV2, if so, what color is it, and what's your VIN...?

Correct DSP4 only, just testing the waters I suppose. Obviously couldn't be done for the LBZ/LMM as they are a voltage switch not done via the CAN bus.
    Kinda sorta loosely back on topic... If memory serves, when the v2 switching was developed for the LB7 & LLY, wasnt that intended to be for the LBZ because at the time, you didnt think there were any empty inputs on the LBZ ECM? Why didnt the databus switching make it into the LBZ/LMM?

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

I could never figure out the convoluted Bosch comms handlers in the code to be able to add our messages in.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12