Thread: Newbie Help__I cant scan e38

Default Newbie Help__I cant scan e38

I just picked up v2 for my 2005 lly duramax and had a dsp5 switchable tune built for it. Uploaded it and it works very well. I haven't tried to scan with it because I have no reason to.

I used the 2nd vin license for my 2010 xpress van e38 4.8L. I have successfully downloaded a tune, modified it, and uploaded it back to the pcm. I have tried logging both via bbx and pass thru logging and have been unsuccessful.

When I plug into the obdII port with the engine running and try to start the logging process, I get various messages on the dash, stability, airbag, etc. none of the gauges function, radio turns off, turn signals are non functional. The engine will stay running and it will take what appears to be snapshots of data very sporadically.

When I plug into the obdII with the engine off and ignition in on position and try to start the logging process, I get the many of the same messages, but the engine wont crank.

I have set chosen pids in v8 software and set up the v2 as much as I know how to in that program, but I am obviously missing something.

I feel like blaming the v2, but I don't know. I have 2 other gm vehicles, but I'm afraid to try to scan the others at this point. I don't know if there is any danger of messing up PCMs

Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by bkcalhoun; March 12th, 2017 at 07:33 AM.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by bkcalhoun View Post
    I just picked up v2 for my 2005 lly duramax and had a dsp5 switchable tune built for it. Uploaded it and it works very well. I haven't tried to scan with it because I have no reason to.

I used the 2nd vin license for my 2010 xpress van e38 4.8L. I have successfully downloaded a tune, modified it, and uploaded it back to the pcm. I have tried logging both via bbx and pass thru logging and have been unsuccessful.

When I plug into the obdII port with the engine running and try to start the logging process, I get various messages on the dash, stability, airbag, etc. none of the gauges function, radio turns off, turn signals are non functional. The engine will stay running and it will take what appears to be snapshots of data very sporadically.

When I plug into the obdII with the engine off and ignition in on position and try to start the logging process, I get the many of the same messages, but the engine wont crank.

I have set chosen pids in v8 software and set up the v2 as much as I know how to in that program, but I am obviously missing something.

I feel like blaming the v2, but I don't know. I have 2 other gm vehicles, but I'm afraid to try to scan the others at this point. I don't know if there is any danger of messing up PCMs

Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance
    Might be a silly question, but are you selecting the E38 controller and E38 specific PIDs for logging? Are you using V7.5 or V8 for the pass-thru scanning?
    00 Silverado Z71, LQ9 w/ LS3 heads, BTR cam, Whipple 2.9@8#, 4l80E

Not a silly question as I've not had a successful logging session yet. I'm hoping I'm missing a really basic step here that someone will help me catch.

Used these steps for BBL:
    I opened v8 scan and tune. used BBX button on left menu. opened options_gm_gas2 from scan menu. selected e38 only. moved desired PIDs into selected PIDs screen. saved config. pressed program button.

Used these steps for pass thru:
    Opened v8 scan and tune. scan button on left menu. auto detect button and it found my pcm and tcm. selected a few PIDs. Try to start engine and ... nothing.

Have you tried with the V7 scantool...

go File->Select Controller and choose E38,
    go File->Enter VIN and enter your VIN,

then select some basic pids such as SAE.VSS, SAE.RPM, SAE.MAF, SAE.MAP, SAE.LONFT1/2, SAE.ETC, SAE.IAT,

then connect to vehicle (green button at upper left),

then start recordind (red button at bottom centre; avoid the yellow button).

And unplug your radio's fuse.

I did try v7, but didn't mess with it for long. Ill try tomorrow with the radio fuse removed.

It is definitely vehicle specific, I set up for BBL on my duramax LLY this evening and it worked fine.