Thread: Wasp

Default Wasp

I was dong some research on a wasp I had killed and the mite that was attached to its thorax, I ran across several articles about a wasp problem in New Zealand. Just wanted to let anyone interested that "dish-washing soap" with water (about 10 drops per 8oz RMV) works well as a wasp control agent. If squirted (sprayed) or tossed, mixed into a cup or glass or water, onto the wasp and wasp nets it will suffocate the wasp as they breath through their exoskeleton, and doesn't harm you or the environment.

I use this all the time, in fact you can spray one down while in flight, if you get enough on one it will drop like a rock. And yes, Nerf super soaker (water gun) work well.

Wish New Zealand luck on controlling the wasp population.
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

We have 'European wasps' in Australia, they are a total pain always hanging around when food comes out. I like your trick though, I've never looked for a nest but I might get a squirter bottle and try that.

We also have these native 'Potter wasps', they make you run like a scared child when they come around but I don't think they actually sting humans. What a horrid looking insect! They are loud and big.

I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    We have 'European wasps' in Australia, they are a total pain always hanging around when food comes out. I like your trick though, I've never looked for a nest but I might get a squirter bottle and try that.

We also have these native 'Potter wasps', they make you run like a scared child when they come around but I don't think they actually sting humans. What a horrid looking insect! They are loud and big.

The top one looks like a species we have here that build nest in soft sandy soil, which we have some of, soil and nest, they call them "Bald Faced Hornets," nasty little devils.
    Bald face hornets will attack and not stop attacking until they either kill their victim or get killed themselves. They also pack a nasty sting, the sting is very intense pain at first then a few hours later it turns into an uncontrollable itching that last for weeks. The sting mark will last for months at the site of the sting. Ask me how I know? LOL!

The "Potter Wasp" are nice to have, they control the spiders, or at least the ones here do, and they don't tend to bother humans other than the mug nest they build, we call them "mud daubers" or "dirt daubers."

The water and soap works well, just get it on the wasp and it will take them out. We have paper wasp of all kinds here, red, red and black, yellow with orange bands, small/large yellow and black bands. etc...
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Do you guys check inside your shoes before you put them on in the morning...?

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    Do you guys check inside your shoes before you put them on in the morning...?
    Yep! Stinging Lizards will get you if you don't!
    2006 Trailblazer

Sydney is the home of the funnel-web spider, they tend to go indoors (into shoes) when it rains.

Lifetime Member

Default Wasp

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy366 View Post

The "Potter Wasp" are nice to have, they control the spiders, or at least the ones here do, and they don't tend to bother humans other than the mug nest they build, we call them "mud daubers" or "dirt daubers."
    They are pretty good at taking care of spiders. This was in our outdoor area 12 months ago. Took him 3 goes to fly off with the spider...spider was alive at the time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Yeah. It is amazing how much one of those things can move. But I'm like: "where are you going to put that big thing, your nest is only so big?." Carefully break open one of the mug nest and look at the contents, you will be amazed.
    2006 Trailblazer