Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EFI autoCAL ECM flash failure

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    Erik, it isn't the first time this has happened to someone with a late model Cummins and unfortunately all the trace files show is the flash completed then dead. We have in the past suspected an issue within the tune but then where this has happened in the past the tune has been used on other vehicle without issue. Nobody ever said Cummins is easy that is for sure.
    Ah dang, so it's really a confusing thing to troubleshoot especially if the SAME file works just fine in another ECM! Thanks for chiming in here.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Yes, one of the last ones I remember this happening on took out two ECM's, I was sent that file and flashed two of my ECM's here without a problem. That truck then had a third ECM where they put a different tune in and it was fine. Unfortunately one very big downside of not being in 100% control of the flash process like we are on GM gas ECM's, with Cummins (and Bosch) we are constrained by the ECM's rules and often they aren't ideal.
    In all these situations the tunes are also modified outside of EFILive so who knows what has been done.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Had excellent customer support from anarchy diesel.
    Jesse Bubb returned the ecm. Unlocked the ecm, and flashed the tune in to the truck. Put a 2 amp battery charger on just in case that was the issue. Truck is absolutely perfect now. Thanks for all the input guys!

Lifetime Member

Glad you got it squared away!
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    Yes, one of the last ones I remember this happening on took out two ECM's, I was sent that file and flashed two of my ECM's here without a problem. That truck then had a third ECM where they put a different tune in and it was fine. Unfortunately one very big downside of not being in 100% control of the flash process like we are on GM gas ECM's, with Cummins (and Bosch) we are constrained by the ECM's rules and often they aren't ideal.
    In all these situations the tunes are also modified outside of EFILive so who knows what has been done.
    I would look into WaveBPS and a PICOscope. Complimented by vehicle spy and one of their datalink devices you can get pretty granular.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12